Tipping in the UK

Today’s news around the conservative parties proposed plans to make the way tips are handled in the UK fairer has raised an interesting debate around tipping in the UK in general. What are your thoughts around tipping, do you feel its mandatory in the UK where there is a clear definitive minimum wage.

Just wondering :thinking:

2 Likes

I can’t remember the last time I tipped in the UK…

I always tip in the US, of course, since many of those waiters and waitresses don’t make much money otherwise.

3 Likes

Holy hell! Really? I always tip minimum 10%. I thought it was the done thing…?

weeps over all that money I could have saved

3 Likes

Don’t tip, stop that American imperialism!

People should be paid a proper wage for doing the job. It shouldn’t be down to punters to subsidise them.

11 Likes

Sometimes I do…and sometimes I don’t…depends how healthy my Summary looks!

1 Like

@simonb I am surprised to hear that from someone from London :laughing: . I personally try an practice a cash free lifestyle which means that sometimes if the PDQ payment device does not ask me to leave a Tip, I typically wont.

I wonder whether or not there are any UK servers on here that might be able to provide their thoughts.

1 Like

I rarely tip in the UK but when I do it’s because the person serving us is exceptionally kind / welcoming.

3 Likes

I’m not from London, maybe it’s more common there?

I’m not from London either and very rarely tip.

Only when the card machine asks because I feel guilty for pressing no but not many restaurants have this for some reason :rofl:

1 Like

This is blowing my mind. I always tip waiters.

3 Likes

Am I right in saying the US don’t have minimum wage and thus tips make up a higher proportion of their pay?
Over here I don’t feel it’s a must.

Nice to see the law change though.

EDIT: just read the link…

1 Like

Trust me, having been a waiter a long time ago, it’s a must.

1 Like

@simonb Are you not based in London near HQ?

1 Like

Nope, I work remotely from Birmingham :grinning:

I go to the London office every so often depending on what’s happening.

1 Like

@simonb Whaaat? Can I work for Monzo? lol

2 Likes

The US has a minimum wage but they are allowed to take expected tips into account when paying servers.

3 Likes

I tip out of politeness most of the time. 10%, or a couple of quid. It’s only awkward when everyone is paying by card and you have to ask if the tip comes out automatically if we just overpay or if they need to manually set it up on their terminal. And when that’s the case, they often have to make you pay by chip and pin as it’s an option while you tap through the screens.

1 Like

I am the same. I feel that tips should be earned, and if the person serving me doesn’t give a crap then I’m not going to give them a tip. It doesn’t take much to give good service.

But good service should be the norm - try tipping in Japan and you will find many take offence.

5 Likes

I agree, Tipping “should” be earned, but I feel so guilty if I dont :blush:

1 Like