New job....advice

I have been offered a job in ROI - I live over the border in NI. Just wanted to know if anyone out that had any thoughts / opinions / could point me somewhere to find out if accepting the role is maddness pre-Brexit!

Thanks!

Congratulations!

But who knows :woman_shrugging: Hopefully some clarity in the next few weeks. So many live on one side of the border and work on the other that theyā€™ll come up with something

1 Like

I suspect youā€™ll be in an ideal situation to be able to pick the best from both jurisdictions.

I guess youā€™ll probably gain from any exchange rate fluctuations, too.

Edit: On the other hand, if it becomes anything like the border between Spain and Gibraltar, you could be in for a long commute!

Thanks @Rat_au_van & @Anarchist

Itā€™s a good opportunity so I am heavily leaning on taking it. Just something at the back of my mind has a concern.

Iā€™ve been reading round and it seems no one has a clue. I was hoping some people here may have slightly more of a clue than the zero clue I have.

I had thought the exchange may benefit me - Iā€™ve been looking into the best way to convert euros to Ā£.

Thereā€™s a few choices. Fire give you a sterling and euro account, have an IBAN. They do have fees tho

Personally Iā€™d take the job if I was you

Thereā€™s also a conversation to be had about whether you are paid in euros or sterling. It may not be optional, but for some organisations it is. Worth asking.

1 Like

Something like Transferwise Borderless would probably suit you. You get a Mastercard debit card, you can have a Euro account and Sterling account so you can spend in Euros at work, Sterling at home etc.

I have an affiliate link, if you decide to go down that route. Iā€™ll be honest, I have no idea what benefits either of us would get if you use it, but itā€™s there if you want.

1 Like

If itā€™s a really good job and you want to do it then donā€™t let the Brexit nonsense get in your way, Iā€™d say.

But be sure to discuss your concerns with your new employer as well. They may already have other employees who live in Northern Ireland that theyā€™ve had substantial discussions with.

7 Likes

@TR1 I ebquired about this but it was a no, I have to be considered a ROI employee, pay ROI tax, paid in euros, etc.

Thanks @Anarchist been weighing up transferwise, revolut, all the options trying to figure out which is best!

@simonb Good advice!!

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t worry. There are different travel rules between the UK and Ireland (in theory you barely need ID, and even a utility bill can legally be used!) and I donā€™t see that changing much after Brexit.

I would be shocked if a car was stopped on the border. I can sort of see lorries being stopped and goods vehicles but not just cars.

But who knows? I wouldnā€™t be concerned though. Itā€™s all ā€œifsā€ right now.

Interesting.

Iā€™m sure youā€™ve probably had conversations about double taxation and hopefully this will not affect you due to the Double Taxation Convention, although worth mentioning just in case.

For what itā€™s worth, I agree with the others. As long as youā€™ve checked the basics, if itā€™s a job you want to pursue, I would absolutely go for it.

1 Like

In the words of a famous sportswear companyā€¦ Just Do Itā€¦

I moved from England to Scotland 14 years ago and have never looked backā€¦ I know your situation is somewhat different but youā€™ll only end up spending numerous hours thinking about what might have been if you dontā€¦

After all itā€™s only a few miles down the roadā€¦ itā€™s not as if youre moving to Dubai or somewhere with a totally different way of lifeā€¦

1 Like

That point is literally what a lot of the argument is about. Those rules only exists because of the European Union and canā€™t exist without it as it allows free movement of goods and people. Previous rules will no longer apply

2 Likes

Quite. One of Mrs Mayā€™s red lines is ending free movement (for British citizens as well as European ones). I canā€™t see how that can be enforced if there is an open border that any European person can simply walk across.

2 Likes

Freedom of movement, voting rights and citizenship rights have existed between the UK and Ireland before the EU existed.

I am a remainer, but the relationship between the two nations is not a concern of mine.

That is not to say a border wonā€™t exist; it did before the EU. But the right to live, work and travel between the UK and Ireland will almost certainly continue. It will be based on citizenship no doubt.

2 Likes

Before the EU it was possible. Now the republic has to abide by European rules so they cannot make the same exceptions. Also for those rights you believe will retained by citizenship, how will they check who is allowed except by checkpoints? I really donā€™t want to go back to the days of hours in a queue just to go to the seaside

1 Like

Iā€™ve said several times that a border may exist. Ireland is an island so passports are checked on flights to and from the island already. For freedom of living etc then an employer simply checks the citizenship of someone, like how they do already.

Literally nothing needs to change for the right to live and work in Ireland for a British citizen.

This is the current government advice on a no-deal Brexit and the Common Travel Area.

[ā€¦]

After a ā€˜no dealā€™ Brexit on 29 March 2019

If you are an Irish citizen you will continue to have the right to enter and remain in the UK, as now. You are not required to do anything to protect your status.

You will continue to have the same reciprocal rights associated with the CTA in the same way that British citizens in Ireland would if there is no deal. These rights include the right to work, study and vote, access to social welfare benefits and health services. Where required, domestic legislation and agreements will be updated to ensure that the CTA rights continue to have a clear legal basis.

There will be no practical changes to the UKā€™s approach to immigration on journeys within the CTA. As now there will be no routine immigration controls on journeys from within the CTA to the UK. The legislation governing this approach will remain unchanged when the UK leaves the EU, as will the legislative framework of integrated immigration laws between the UK and the Crown Dependencies. The CTA arrangements would be maintained, promoting the benefits of migration between these islands.

If youā€™re not an Irish or British citizen, youā€™ll be required to continue to meet relevant domestic entry clearance requirements as set out in the Immigration (Control of Entry through the Republic of Ireland) Order 1972 (as amended). The UK will continue to work with Ireland and the Crown Dependencies on the movement of people between these islands, ensuring the effective functioning of the CTA and its external border.

[ā€¦]

1 Like

Not entirely true. You do not need a passport to get from Belfast to the mainland. Anyone from Europe can get into the republic and then up to Northern Ireland and across to the mainland

1 Like

Something will change, though. NI will become part of a ā€˜third countryā€™ after Brexit, unless there is some other arrangement in place.

2 Likes