Tipping in the UK

I’ve never understood that argument, do you tip shop staff many who are mothers with young children that do a few hours while kids at school earning minimum wage.

5 Likes

If you had ever worked that kind of job you’d tip and if you can afford to eat out you can afford to tip :wink:

2 Likes

No, however I do know that most of the big 6 supermarkets pay over minimum wage

What about you local small corner shop? Or how about the veg stall worker?

I obviously could go on, I just don’t get how its ok to tip just some people when others if not more are in the same situation in different careers.

So I don’t tip anyone, not down to me to decide someone is worth more than others.

Tipping just encourages it.

5 Likes

My friend works in a sandwich shop on minimum wage she doesn’t get tips, so how is that fair ? Do you tip in Sandwich shops.

2 Likes

It’s not really about being able to afford to tip.

It’s about not supporting a corrupt system designed to allow unscrupulous employers to shirk their responsibilities to their staff.

4 Likes

If your boss can afford to run a business with an 70% average margin, then he/she/xe/they can afford to pay you a living wage, don’t ask me to do it :wink:

5 Likes

Surprise to see so many of us don’t Tip. I always Tip if the service was good or if the person serving/driving was nice. I thought thats what most people do :man_facepalming:

I don’t think not tipping would necessarily cause to improve someone’s wages or working conditions but I can see why people think like that. Personally, I wouldn’t stop Tipping unless I really can’t for whatever reason.

2 Likes

It’s more likely 10-15% if you’re lucky. Restaurants are usually low margin businesses.

1 Like

#Metoo, I just thought it was the norm, I don’t really feel as guilty after readying the comments

I suppose it’s also to do with the fact that the contact time with your server/hairdresser/taxi driver etc is longer than your brief encounter with the person on the supermarket checkout, on the market stall etc. So if I’m looked after well in a restaurant etc, then I’ll tip.

Where did you get that insight from? A £2.50 bottle of wine at cost will be sold for minimum £15.00. Average markup in a restaurant would not be considered “low”

2 Likes

Yes the margin on the food is high but the costs quickly negate that with labour being one of the highest.

You make it sound like they make loads of profit. It’s hard for most restaurants to make a profit.

Ramsay says a third on food, a third on costs and a third profit.

I think that’s because most restaurants are a bit carp

1 Like

The common practice it to keep your labor around 20-30% of total revenue. I can usually keep it at 23%

2 Likes

I have run a steakhouse for many years, the profit I make on meat is extremely low, there is no money in it at all, most profit comes from sides, desserts and of course wet goods. Stock around 35%, Costs are around 40% including rent, bills and staff. The rest is profit.

2 Likes

There’s been a noticeably change up here in recent years to much smaller, more focused menus or street food style eating

One of my favourite restaurants in Glasgow is Six by Nico, it does the same six course menu for six weeks for £28. Given that they just opened a second one in Edinburgh I imagine it offers healthy margins doing it that way.

I agree definitely more of a focus around street food popups. Weird how things change. Hipster… Hipsters everywhere :+1:

1 Like

We really liked the Hanoi Bike Shop!

I run a mile when I see a restaurant with a menu that resembles an encyclopaedia. It suggests they don’t really know what they are doing.

Give me a focussed menu, do a few things very well and I’ll go back.

One of the best meals I’ve had was a little restaurant in Grasse in Provence where the menu was one item per day. You either had what was on offer or went elsewhere. He was booked for months.

2 Likes

Deliveroo let you add a tip, but I’m never sure if the driver are aware or if they just get the money at the end of the night.