There needs to be a way to be able to take less than £10 out of an ATM

This is a good idea but might not be possible with a Monzo card as they aren’t members of the LINK network, and these sorts of withdrawals are normally processed via LINK.

This may be changing if the Mastercard Access to Cash initiative gets off the ground (but these ideas are currently only in trials).

1 Like

I don’t believe cashback purchases in supermarkets use the link network for cashback. They do it through the cards main network.

The OP really wouldn’t like some ATMs overseas. In Canada, some ATMs have a minimum $50 withdrawal (only have $50 and $100 notes in them.)

This post title really needs editing to make that 13th word correct. I’ll edit tomorrow if no-one else does.

Good night! :sleeping:

EDIT: Phew, someone edited it :+1:

What did it say before? Missed the typo…

On topic mind - the nearest cash point to me only seems to dish out £20’s!

That said with the “current situation”, I saw someone spend a minute or two rubbing their hands all over the screen and buttons… for no good reason as far as I can tell…

So even better reason to avoid cash

1 Like

Monzo can’t control what notes cash machines have :thinking:

A few years ago the local post office was also a bakery.

They of course didn’t take card payments because only Greggs seems to do that, but they didn’t have an issue withdrawing a couple of quid from the bank. I think I just did it to be annoying, I wasn’t going to carry cash around.

It was the first sentence of the OPs post. The typo remains in that.

Prior to this the topic title was just ‘money’ so either way it’s a significant improvement :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve received cashback many times with my Monzo card without issue. When I had Monzo plus, I actually did this solely, and used the category splitting to identify how much of the purchase was for cash. It was quite a convenient way of doing things, and I preferred it to ATMs, as they were out of my way.

The only cards I’ve ever had cashback issues with are N26 and Revolut. Revolut being intermittent, N26 just never worked, and I believe were blocked on their end of things. No idea why.

I’ve found (in the West of Scotland at least) that any RBS ATM at a Tesco will dispense £5 notes.

1 Like

Interesting, so they must not actually require LINK for it to work after all.

Is cashback still common?

I remember a long while ago that places would always ask if you wanted any cashback, I haven’t had that in years!

1 Like

I’m wondering the same too.

I also recall the self service machines offering cashback too because of the countless times I handed in money that was left in the machine by the previous user.

I think you now have to ask for it and most shops don’t prompt you any more, probably due to a general decline in cash usage, but based on anecdotally seeing people at the checkout in shops it does still seem fairly popular.

Most shops can do it as far as I know - small local places might not want to as they would prefer to keep their cash in the till as a float.

There is (only time I had cash out in 2020) bar 2 trips for cashback for haircuts (I have my hair very long and yes I’ve been mistaken for a girl at one point)

1 Like