The Next Step: Current Accounts!

What will happen to the prepaid cards? I really like using the Monzo card as a firewall between my main account and online shopping.

Its also really handy to be able to give to the kids when they want to order pizzas when we are out.

That depends if the interim solution from the TestFlight app is ported over to the main Monzo app. My understanding was that the TestFlight implementation was a stopgap measure to get the testing underway with the full app being properly provisioned with these features.

You will need to receive a new debit card to use the Current Account. I suggest you contact in app chat to see if it is possible to send you a new card in Austria; it is certainly possible for those who’s card gets lost or broken but as you’re signing up to a new account you may simply be asked to wait.

Prepaid cards will end by the New Year.

You will still be able to use the current account card exactly like you use a prepaid card, except the CA card will have greater merchant acceptance and will offer more features (faster payments, BACS etc.)

@Gemmachalford You will be able to use the current account exactly like you use the prepaid card - in fact the budgeting features you love will be even better on the current account!

You will have to sign up to the current account by the New Year when the prepaid programme will start to wind down - you can delay it until then but I strongly suggest you try out the current account as it is awesome :+1:

1 Like

Yes - I too would like to keep a pre-paid card. Am hoping to run a Current Account and also have a pre-paid card that I can transfer funds to.

HI Hugh,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my message.

I’ve been using the card to withdraw Vietnamese Dong once I spent my physical cash. I haven’t got a lot on my card. One of the main reasons I got a pre-paid card was because I didn’t want cash sitting around and anyone who knows the Vietnamese currency will know that they have a lot of notes.

I’m only in Vietnam till early to mid December and then I will be returning to the UK. Once I’m back I will look properly into what Monzo has to offer.

Thank you again for your response, it really helped!

2 Likes

I don’t know a lot about Vietnam but if you pay at the POS it will save you and Monzo a lot of :money_with_wings: :wink:

We definitely need a FAQ on this.

Monzo have stated categorically that the prepaid card will be withdrawn once the current account is fully launched.

3 Likes

I have the prepaid card which my daughter uses for shopping at University.If I upgrade to the current account will my name be on the account and therefore she will no longer be able to use the card ?

1 Like

Does anybody ever read the name on the card?

With chip and pin I don’t think so

2 Likes

To clarify this is against the terms and conditions.

Yes! I’ve answered the same question 3 or 4 times now…

2 Likes

Oh cool, if I’m in a shop then I’ll do that. Most of my money has been going on food and drink and usually it’s street vendors, so that wouldn’t apply. I tend to only spend a few pounds a day here. I’ve been withdrawing roughly £17 a week and that keeps me going. Would it be more cost effective for me to withdraw larger amounts of cash in one go that withdrawing small amounts when I need it?

It would be more effective for you to get cash from a proper currency conversion place rather than costing Monzo huge amounts of money.

Please see here: Monzo Help - Understanding fees for using your card

1 Like

thats not really helpful. he’s already in Vietnam. is he to know? maybe maybe not.

1 Like

Well I’m not sure what else to say? There are currency conversion places abroad…

1 Like

but thats redundant if the person is already in that country.

2 Likes

Try reading what I wrote:

Ie. if you are in another country, you can still go to currency conversion places that will offer you a competitive rate for GDP/USD to local currency.

1 Like

I’d say yes to this but all the money that I have on the Monzo card is enough to keep me going out here for the next two months. It’s very very cheap out here. As I said earlier £17 a week can keep me going for food and drink and I’m only here for another 8 weeks. If I spend all the money that is currently on the card then yes I’ll go to a proper currency conversion place. However it is highly unlikely that I will have to top up the card as I’m not planning on spending big when I’m over here. My rent and a tailor made suit will be the only expensive purchases I will be making and I will now pay for the suit on card, thanks to your helpful advice.

2 Likes

Most people who look at money saving websites are cheapskates. :wink:

Nothing wrong in this per se. Most people like a bargain.

The problem with Martin Lewis is that he’s a journalist and he can only seem to speak about things by sensationalising them to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Everything seems to be about him ”blagging” stuff.

This ”blagging” is actually mutually beneficial business relationships that are marketed to MSE’s user base to give them a little bit of a discount over normal prices.

My difficulty with ML and MSE is that it is big business and it’s disingenuous; it treats people like idiots (Granted, some are) and he has become extremely rich by doing so.

The proposition of MSE is that all business is bad and is trying to do over customers. To an extent, this may be true. But I think that there are many firms out there who are genuinely good at customer service.

MSE stirs up some people to have unreasonable expectations and be bad customers towards some businesses.

Unfortunately, Monzo gained a lot of traction with ML’s MSE crowd and he set their expectation the the prepaid card was a cheap/free cash card for overseas ATMs. Good for Monzo in terms of customer growth but poor in terms of many customers not understanding Monzo’s strategy / business aim.

Personally, I like a bargain and I don’t like paying over the odds. But, I also appreciate good service and that comes into whom I do business with. I’d rather pay a little but extra to get a good service than pay the absolute cheapest. But I’ll avoid paying over the odds. It’s a balance.

31 Likes

Wish I could double like this post

4 Likes