The Next Step: Current Accounts!

I should also say that, from what I’ve read about Mr Blomfield (surely villainous name for someone intent on world domination :thinking:), he is extremely forward thinking, has a vision and is working towards making the world a better place.

At the moment, I genuinely believe that he and Monzo are trying to do the right thing. And that’s why I’m prepared to stick with them for the journey.

12 Likes

No, it won’t make a difference to you. And from what Monzo has said about the fee structure, it won’t make a difference to them either, as the fees are (roughly) a percentage of the amount withdrawn. And this is definitely better for you than going to a currency conversion place!

1 Like

Something Monzo might want to explore in the future are allowing multiple cards on an account, possibly drawing on some sort of segregated pot. It would seem a logical extension to the budgeting features that seem to be an important focus for them.

Separate, but related, I have seen talk over recent years of generating multiple “virtual” card numbers to be used once or a few times online and then disabled, as a security feature. Having just done battle with a badly run website whose billing system ran amok (fortunately sorted out for by Monzo), I can see why this would be desirable… has this ever been suggested as a possible feature?

I think this a hugely unfair comment. Free ATM withdrawals has been an advertised feature of the card for some time (since the beginning of the beta?). Dan has planned his trip based on this, and has every right to use the card to withdraw cash. It’s not his responsibility to know the details of the fee structure and Monzo’s business model.

Clearly, having lots of overseas withdrawals are not sustainable for Monzo in the long run, which is why they are bringing in charges. But it’s not good advice to push someone to using a currency conversion place, which will give far worse rates than the Monzo card, when they are using their card in good faith.

21 Likes

If it had been made clearer in the blog post I think that would have helped.

Short answer, Yes. It’s been more than discussed, I think this is one of the things the bank is looking forward to getting to grips with.

1 Like

Thank you, was debating taking a few hundred quid out before haha. To be honest I didn’t know a lot about Monzo, I was going to take all of my spends in cash to Vietnam until someone told me two weeks before to get a pre-paid card. I got a card on the off chance and now I know more about it, I will definitely look into what’s on offer when I’m home. I know it’s the lazy mans way of doing things haha.

As you said in your second comment, I didn’t know the details of their fee structure. But to some of the comments before your’s, is it not better that I know now than to have never known at all? Thanks to the changes you have another member of the Monzo community. Surely no matter how you’ve found Monzo or use Monzo, if you stick around then we’re all the same?

8 Likes

Will it have top up by debit card ??

Personally thats a huge issue with the current account… I get low on funds and need access to my bank to simply add more. It makes me top up my pre-paid card there and then and now I am running 2 lots of balances.

Unless I have that ability… I am very reluctant to let my prepaid card go.

More than suggested, Daniel (one of the engineers) has specifically stated it’s something they are looking at doing. Virtual cards is a feature that will become possible due to Monzo writing their own MasterCard processor. Note there are no timescales for this as of yet, but it’s definitely on their radar:

2 Likes

Fair enough. I accept that.

Sorry, I’m just getting a little tired of the “I’m using Monzo as a cash card” people who are rinsing the card. I think it works two ways though, Monzo is really transparent with us but we should also have some understanding for how stuff works with them.

4 Likes

There is another way to look at this - Monzo have a huge user base and most aren’t here on this forum. There is a perception (I guess due to some cash card type promotions) that Monzo is for travel abroad and righly or wrongly Monzo benefited and managed to create this huge following and user base. Now you cant entirely blame all those people for thinking and commenting the way they are. I am sure things will get clearer as we get close to come out of Preview but there will always be some people out there surprised to learn that Monzo is actually a Bank.

10 Likes

I would quite happily pay a small fee to keep the prepaid card as is - I realise at the moment I am not a source of revenue to Monzo!

That won’t be an option due to the cards being administered by a third party provider. If Monzo ever want to manage their own prepaid scheme then, of course, they could but that’s a whole new product to design and implement so it wouldn’t be planned for any time soon.

2 Likes

No. I think I would blame MSE :wink:

I understand, however I do find it very frustrating as a “genuine” user when we can’t have “nice” things because other people (to all intents and purposes, for whatever reason) abuse them. :confused: And then people get irritated that they can’t have the nice things and come on the forums and moan. That is the source of my frustrations and maybe I am tarring everyone with the wrong brush but I think there has to be a little understanding on both sides.

3 Likes

Tom said at an open evening that they get a mix of charges both a percentage and a flat fee, therefore one larger withdrawal is surely cheaper for Monzo than ten withdrawals of a tenth of that amount

1 Like

Hi, relatively new Monzo user and first time poster.

I am going to be out of the country all of November with my Monzo Prepaid Card. Do I have the option to do nothing regarding current accounts at this time. You article states the next 8 weeks?

I’m a little scared of loading money onto my card then requiring it to travel abroad for 4 weeks and losing access to that money.

Apologies if this has been asked already, but an important question for me.

Jason

From everything I’ve read and heard, you’ll be fine.

You should be fine. The idea is to migrate most if not all by the end of the year. You may well be offered a current account while on your trip but you shouldn’t feel obliged to take it up until you’re back :slight_smile:

Monzo are working really hard to make this process as smooth as possible and to avoid exactly this situation! I believe even if you sign up to get a new current account, the prepaid card and app still operate as normal until you actually activate your new debit card in app :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the super fast responses. I was thinking that as long as I don’t accept the ‘invite’ until I’m home everything would be fine. But, it’s still a little scary to think if I need that money and suddenly it’s not available that would be a problem for me.

I would imagine logically Monzo won’t allow you to top up the prepaid card once you have been offered a CA , other wise people will just keep on using it and never switch to CA , its probably the easiest solution to switch off top ups rather than reimbursing all funds to other accounts and then when most have either swapped to CA or got down to their last few quid on the pre paid they will reimburse the people that have no intention of switching over after a period of time