The Next Step: Current Accounts!

How? Unless you’ve hacked something the API is read only - you can’t authorise payments to other accounts, or send money to people. Only view your balance and transactions?

1 Like

OH NO THE PREPAID CARDS ARE GOING AND I DON’T WANT A CURRENT ACCOUNT COZ THAT IS NOT WHAT I WAS SOLD WHAT EVER AM I GOING TO DO NOW???

This maybe? vvv :upside_down_face:

giphy

1 Like

1 Like

Thanks for asking this question - and getting an answer. I asked the same thing yesterday and got no response. Did I do something wrong?

However, glad to see the replies to your post and have some peace of mind.

Incidentally, I don’t understand the problem of converting to a current account, especially if it comes with a debit card. That combination could be used in exactly the same way as a pre-paid card.

David

3 Likes

This thread has 200 posts in only 3 days, you’ve done nothing wrong but be drowned in the voices of a crowd of people repeatedly asking “can I use a current account like a prepaid account” (yes).

2 Likes

This is a question we ask all the time :joy_cat:

4 Likes

Sorry to ask yet another question about whether the current account will be the same as the current prepaid card, but I can’t see it being answered already: will I be able to top-up the debit card on my current account with another debit card, as I do with my current prepaid card?

If yes, perfect. If not, then no the current account will not be equivalent to the current prepaid card and that’s going to be an issue for me. I’m looking forward to all the other benefits of a full current account, but for my usage I do need to be able to top-up with another debit card as well.

Or at least, to be able to continue using my existing prepaid card in that manner. As long as I still have a way to top-up a prepaid card with debit card after the switch, I’m fine. But I’m currently worried that I’m going to lose that.

Any clarification would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Yes

2 Likes

Is there a reason you need to be able to top up from another debit card and can’t just be able to do a bank transfer from the account attached to the debit card?

2 Likes

Yes - I can’t do online/easy bank transfers, only by going to a bank. Hence being able to use a debit card with Monzo prepaid has been a life saver. Other prepaid cards either don’t have a debit card option, or charge large fees.

4 Likes

Oh that’s wonderful, thanks very much Jolin, I missed that being discussed earlier

1 Like

You’ve got to admit clicking ‘Top Up’ and doing it by Apple Pay etc. is far quicker than logging onto your legacy bank app, finding the right payee etc. It’s only minutes, but they all count :wink:

10 Likes

Never used one, always used ATMs (not had opertunity to do so with Monzo yet). I assumed they were for exchanging physical money, as even with legacy bank rates you’ll do better than many exchange places(or close enough not to be worth hassle)

CA TestFlight expires in 46 days - what happens then?

The world will implode.

14 Likes

Yeah the closest exchange places to me right now have an exchange rate at least 20% worse than mid-market (and I’m in the EU. I’ve seen much worse elsewhere). I don’t think telling people to go there to save Monzo 1-2% is viable.

1 Like

Very true. My question was more, why is it not possible for them to do a bank transfer.

I do agree it is much more convenient topping up from within the app directly!

2 Likes

I currently have two cards: my current account with my bank, and my Monzo card for daily spending. Each day, I transfer an amount to my Monzo which is my allotted daily budget, protecting me from overspending my funds. It would have been nice to operate the whole thing through Monzo, but it’s no big deal that I’ll still need two cards.

1 Like

You’re right, I just checked the documentation and it’s read-only. Starling offers payment web methods, interestingly…

1 Like

Thanks for that.

Will there be a way of disabling the overdraft facility? One great use of the Monzo prepaid card is that I can top it up and give it to the kids to say order pizza when we go out, safe in the knowledge they can’t empty the account or go wildly overdrawn.

1 Like