The Monzo Current Account Preview comes to Android!

Depends on where you live. If I don’t book at least a week in advance it’s going to cost me around £150 at least

Looks like it’ll be ~£30 for me, that was booking yday for this Thursday but getting out of work early would be the fun part :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m down in London anyway this week and I’ve been invited tonight so I’m going down :grin:

1 Like

Awesome!! I’m mega impressed with how quickly Monzo are getting Android’s current account up and running :grin::grin:

Glad the timing lined up so well for you :wink:

1 Like

Big queue of Android signups at tonight’s event. My iOS signup worked smoothly but interested to know how the Android experience went.

3 Likes

It seems none of the Google Play email addresses we were asked to provide in the Eventbrite invite has been pre-loaded so none of the Android users could see the app, hence the big queue where we needed to add our email address to the whitelist for the beta app.

After that it all went pretty smoothly, although my verification only processed at around 2am (although this might have been my fault for claiming my name is Tommy when my ID said Thomas).

you were not the only one. A friend had his Android app verified around 4am

Yeah, sorry about the Android queues. It seems the Google Play Store beta lists work in mysterious ways — thanks for being the first testers! :slight_smile:

Identity verification normally takes 5 minutes but it was very slow last night — sorry about that too!

All part of the fun eh :wink:

5 Likes

Just got invited to the next event!!! :tada::tada::tada::tada::tada:

Super stoked! Can’t wait to test the CA out :smiley: Thanks :monzo: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have had an invite to the next event, but I am also going on holiday in Sept. Is the CA going to have the save features when abroad as the prepaid card (good exchange rate, no charges) etc?

Until CA rollout is done, you get to keep both prepaid and CA cards. CA rules* are not to use it for non-GBP transactions for the time being. In other words: get CA if you’d like to test it, but use your prepaid card for travels. :wink:

*by rules I mean help text in the app that says “Payments to countries outside of the UK are not supported yet.”

Nice one, thanks for that Avishai. I was looking for something similar but I guess its in the help app for the current account :wink:

Yeah, I don’t think it was in either Preview blog entries, it’s in the app Help, and also mentioned during actual event when you get preview card.

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion here :see_no_evil: By this we mean that Bank transfers out of the UK aren’t supported - you can use your card abroad - we’d defintiely encourage you to do this! :+1:

9 Likes

If you was previously part of the last crowdfunding effort but was not chosen do you still have to register your interest?

Yes :slight_smile:

The form can be used by anyone, from there you’ll be randomly selected at some point :grin:

You can register here:

2 Likes

There has been promises by Monzo that everybody that applied for and was not selected for the crowdfunding round which took place a few months ago, would be automatically selected to be given a current account. That’s after the successful crowdfunders have had first dibs of course.

I just want to know if that’s still the case or will we have to register via the above form.

This hasn’t started yet. They’ve started trialling a limited current account to testers that sign up - these testers can be anyone, and are chosen randomly. Investors will get first access to the full current account when it comes in September.

I wish they had stated this clearer, I took “full current account” to mean not a prepaid card, ie: “full account” compared to prepaid, not “full current account”. So I thought that investors would get early access overall, ie: to the beta tests. But, oh well. It doesn’t matter much.

1 Like

The form is registering for a super early preview. You can either register for that or wait for your promised early access to the full account. :slightly_smiling_face:

This has to be opt-in because there are still some issues we’re working out. Right now, you need to be sure that you’re willing to work with us if you experience any issues. There’s still a lot unfinished and even some missing functionality compared to the prepaid cards at this stage.

6 Likes

I don’t understand what you mean. Do you mean that you thought it would be a not a Pre Paid account or a fully ready current account? There was only going to be 2 accounts 1 which is the Pre paid card and the 2nd Is the current account.