The Ashes

What a great start to the Ashes beautiful display of bowling from England getting the Aussies on the back foot.
And a strong batting display from Steve Smith of Australia after he’s return from a 12 month ban.

Bring on tomorrow and England in to bat.

1 Like

Great start but extremely poor by England this afternoon, particularly the tactics employed by Joe Root. Didn’t think we’d be waving the white flag on day one!

1 Like

Yeah an interesting late session for sure the loss of Jimmy Anderson early on hasn’t helped. But overall a good performance from the bowlers, let’s see how we are with the bat tomorrow.

Just re watched smiths innings he had an absolute blinder. A propper show of intent on he’s return to test cricket. And saved Australia what could of been an embarking first day.

1 Like

Another top day of cricket. Well done Rory Burn he’s proved his worth today after a difficult time.
A good knock from Joe root too at 3 good on him when it’s not where he likes to bat.
Some really good bowling from Australia too they are unlucky not to have a couple more wickets.

1 Like

Very impressive today, over the moon for Burns. If we can put another 100-150 on tomorrow then have a bowl and take some early wickets, we’ll be looking good for the win. Just have to hope the weather holds up - I think there are storms forecast for Sunday afternoon!

1 Like

A big effort needed from the bowlers in this morning’s session, need to get that vital Steve Smith wicket early. Once that’s gone I think the rest will fall quite easy. Then we just need to defend the stumps and take the easy runs.

1 Like

It’s certainly set up for an exciting day’s cricket. Totally agree re: Smith. There’s thunderstorms predicted from around 2pm so we might not even get a full day’s play. Absolutely need to get Smith out early and give ourselves an achievable target to chase on Monday.

1 Like

Yeah the weather is a little shakey this afternoon.
I think Smith is the glue of the Aussie team at the moment upset him and they come unstuck.
Should be a good day or morning at least.

1 Like

Well we are going to have to bat like it’s an ODI run chase tomorrow. Well done Australia great cricket played.

1 Like

I really doubt that’s gonna work.

I give England a minimal chance of surviving the day.

2 Likes

The win is gone, a very poor display from England today. I just hope we can bat through and secure the draw.

1 Like

The Aussies batted exceptionally well today, that was a side that has found it’s batting confidence since the first innings.
The British weather never came through for us either lol

1 Like

I know, I was doing a rain dance this afternoon!

1 Like

Well, taking into account lunch and tea, we have six and a half hours to bat. 90 overs. There definitely won’t be a drop of rain today. Can we do it?

On Friday, I put a bet on the draw thinking that there were storms due on Sunday and potentially this morning too. I stand to win about £260, though I can cash out £120 now. I’m very tempted to take the money and run. My head says cash out but my heart says we’ll manage to survive the day and secure the draw.

It’s just rained here (and plenty of cloud about) and I’m about 15 minutes from Edgbaston. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Fingers crossed! Yesterday the forecast was rain until about 10 or 11 but when I looked this morning it’s changed to zero chance of precipitation :thinking:

I’m with you @danmullen my head would say cash out but my heart says the draw is achievable and even says the win could happen.
I’m looking forward to today’s cricket as the last 4 days have been pretty spectacular from both sides.

A bit of moisture in the wicket might help us a tad by slowing the ball down from the Aussie fasts. And might remove a bit of Lyons spin for a while at least.

And let’s remember it’s only the first test of 5.

1 Like

You’ve just blown your chances of being the ITV weather man. :woozy_face:

Clouds all lifted. And as you can see (those of you dodging work) the sun’s out.

And blimey, David Gower is showing his age…:flushed:

(And for me, Nathan Lyon is the key bowler).

2 Likes

Yeah I think your right Lyon is there key man at the moment especially as it dries out and the patches of rough appear more and more he will get plenty of swing then. Leading to plenty of catches from our middle and bottom order.