The Ashes

Well, I missed out on £120 but I took £55 after Root went. Very disappointing today but well done to the Aussies.

1 Like

Less said about today the better.

However, I actually don’t think we need to make wholesale changes.

Ali -> Rashid / Leach
Anderson -> Archer

I think I need to see Denly have a couple more games whilst I sharpen my hatchet…and the alternative is what, Keaton Jennings? No-one wants to see that.

Might be unpopular opinion, but I don’t think Australia are that good. Smith is difference.

1 Like

Given how superlative Stevie is, that’s a pretty big difference.

England without Anderson on tracks that aren’t offering much are a relatively average side.

I agree here.

I think a couple of little tweaks are needed for England and then they just need some conviction in their game.

Steve Smith has batted really well in this test giving Australia the runs they needed especially in that first innings. However the bowling of Nathan Lyons is what’s really broken England we have been unable to find a way to bat against that spin. At Edgbaston spin is often the answer it won’t be the same at other venues though.

And ENGLAND get Chris Woakes moved up the batting order please.

1 Like

Saw this suggested a lot - maybe swap Woakes and Roy so that he is further down the order and maybe given more licence to go for it?

1 Like

That would be a fair move I think Joe root needs to go back to number 4 as well it’s where he bats his best.
And then Jofra Archer in the bowling attack.

Ali has been dropped for the second test, Jack leach of Somerset to replace him.

1 Like

This was always going happen. Unfortunately he just hasn’t been good enough and he’s completely lacking in confidence.

Completely agree there he’s been a long way off the mark with both bat and ball. Hopefully he bounces back as he’s a good all rounder when he’s in form.
Jack is a good choice though he’s had a pretty solid year.
And Jofra is in as well, we might have something resembling a bowling attack now.
If the batting order gets sorted we might be ok.

1 Like

Well that’s a turn up for the books.
Big Jofra writes off Smith in the second test then takes 6 for 45 today.

1 Like

Absolutely outstanding bit of bowling. I really fancied us to level the series before today and now I think it’s nailed on. If we can avoid the type of batting collapse that we’ve become known for then we might not even need to bat a second innings. Be nice if Jofra can notch up a 10-wkt match.

Wowcher. It was most definitely Aus’ day until 17:30 so England really managed to turn things around.

I still wanna see England bat before I get too excited, but they’d have to be mightily disappointed to not go on and get a result from here.

Um…

1 Like

Lucky I didn’t get too excited!

1 Like

Ahem :flushed: I’ll get my coat.

1 Like

Might as well all pack up and head to the Skyrack now. Glad I didn’t have tickets for the 4th/5th days

Buying tickets for day five has always been a bit risky but they way test cricket has been the last few years, I wouldn’t buy tickets for day four in advance either. How often does a non rained off test go the full distance these days?

1 Like

I’m absolutely astounded at how bad England’s batting was. They had the perfect conditions to bat all the openers had to do was hold on and then get cracking in the afternoon. But when players are taking on stupid shots in a test it doesn’t matter how good the conditions are. Some lovely bowling from the Aussies but that batting display was I’d say proof that England don’t want to win the ashes.

And someone please put Joe Root back to No4 he’s now scored two 0 back to back at No3. I can’t help thinking that the captain’s job is getting to him a bit.

1 Like

Totally agree with this. And move Roy down the order too. He’s not an opener.

1 Like

We only need one batsman to put in a good shift and couldn’t even manage that. Only one managed to make double figures let alone anything else. Dare I say let burns or denly open.
And then they were awful in the field as well. Some good bowling again but so many spilt balls in the field.

1 Like