The 1p Daily Challenge 2019

Doing my own version for 3 months. £2.50 a day (IFTTT triggers at 5am so I’m not awake to stop it earlier) into a lock pot until April 1st as hopefully going away to Scotland for Easter.

Should have around £220 saved.

2 Likes

I have both the 1p challenge and the reverse one set up. They work really well and it’s a great feature. (both go to different pots)

Out of interest @simonf … Why not just move £1.83 into each pot daily?

1 Like

Because it then wouldn’t be the 1p challenge then, instead it would be the daily 1.83 challenge. Lol

For me personally it’s about changing a habit and reducing my daily lunch spend. I typically spend £5 on lunch everyday, slowly reducing my budget everyday by 1p allows me to ease into this lower budget.

The 1p challange comes directly out of my daily allowance each day, reducing it by a penny slowly reduces how much I spend each day with minimal effect.

2 Likes

So far so good, but going to move the pot to Marcus at the end of each month, might as well get a little bit of interest while I get to £667

But doing both the 1p and reverse 1p challenge at the same time means that every day he’s putting away £3.66. So esentially it IS a daily £3.66 challenge.

I get that I could set up a payment to a pot daily. But originally I was just setting up ifttt and those options were available. I started midway last year.
Where as this year it will be a full year.
I can show people how it works and that it’s automated And hopefully get them also on monzo.

:thinking: but only if you do both the 1p and the reverse challenge at the same time at which point the process becomes pointless, therefore I just set up a scheduled payment. I am only doing the 1p challenge.

I think you’ve misunderstood my first post - that’s exactly what the user I was referring to before you replied to my message is doing… both versions of the 1p challenge. That’s why I’d asked why he didn’t just transfer £1.83 daily into each pot.

Makes sense! I’ve liked playing with IFTTT - arguably setting up useless rules to help save. My latest is… “if it starts raining, put the value in celcius into a pot” :rofl:

2 Likes

I like the raining rule. What happens if it’s a minus temp or has it not happened yet?

We’ll see… it’s not got that cold in Newcastle yet!

Edit:

Tested on a different applet and got this error:
Screenshot_2019-01-16-18-17-10

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.