Tactical Voting

I’ve always voted Green because I think their policies are more important in the longer term than whatever the issue of the moment is, but was thinking of going Labour more as an anti-Tory protest this time. But my constituency is a very safe Labour area, so I’m going to go Green and cross my fingers Labour does okay.

4 Likes

We had a referendum on electoral reform. The people didn’t want it

1 Like

The UUP are remain as well

It’s good old fashioned prod vs catholic

1 Like

The Greens aren’t standing in my seat this year - which will make me feel better about voting tactically for the SNP. They only beat the Conservatives by 21 votes last time. :persevere:

2 Likes

40% voter turnout, and a referendum full of ads like this

Was a very criticised referendum - I’d image if Electoral Reform (and not just FPTP vs AV) came up again in today’s political climate you’d get a different outcome.

As it turns out though, the 2016 Brexit referendum wasn’t the first one that promised millions to the NHS.

4 Likes

Both the tories and labour have supported electoral reform in the past but only when in opposition…

2 Likes

The ‘people’ have changed since then, and it wasn’t exactly a balanced referendum based on my casual research into it.

As for voting, I’ve got a postal vote for my home constituency (I’ll be down in London for the last week of uni on election day), and will be voting Labour - the Barrow and Furness seat has been getting more and more marginal the past few elections, and the various voting predictions are showing a likely conservative win, what with the Brexit referendum outcome having a 60% leave share (unfortunately).

If my vote didn’t count as significantly, I’d probably go Lib Dem or Greens. I’m not really all that decided on my political views, if I’m being honest.

1 Like

I suggest you do some more research. PR had never had that much support in this country despite a small minority being very vocally outspoken in favour of it.

It might help you firm up your political beliefs. Who knows you might even decide Labour’s manifesto is so bad economically and in terms of changing the voting system that its almost as if they don’t really want to win the election.

Who knows?

If I remember rightly under PR the BNP would have had a load of MP’s so I’m glad that we don’t.

1 Like

It’s a tricky one. I’m not actually a fan of PR. I don’t really mind our current system, but I wish there was more accountability for objective lies etc (on all sides). It seems the era of post-truth politics and firehosing is very much upon us and there seems little the average voter can do about it. It was one of the reasons I was (briefly) pro-Corbyn - he seemed more genuine than your average career politician, but I don’t believe in many of his core values/policies.