Switching to Android

I’ve had a iOS device since the iPhone 4s and I’ve upgraded every year since, I am no looking for a reason to switch to android but I feel that I will regret it because I’m locked into the ecosystem with the Apple Watch etc

Change my mind, why do people like android and what makes it better in your opinion :thinking:

I feel like everything is built better for the iPhone… the apps, accessories etc etc

Short answer…

One isn’t better than the other because they’re pretty much on par. You’ll just have to go into a phone store and have a play about on them and make up your own mind about the subtle differences - everybody is different :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s the sort of question which flits through my mind as well.

As far as phones are concerned, you can get phones with better cameras, headphone jacks, better sound, better battery life, and so on. You can also get cheaper phones.

Like you, I am embedded into the eco system. I have AirPods, a Mac, and an iPad. They work so well together, it would seem a shame to disturb that with a phone which didn’t quite fit.

The big issue for me, though is iMessage. Everyone I message frequently uses iMessage, and being that one guy who everyone has to use WhatsApp for is what changed my mind. A lot of these people aren’t particularly tech savvy, either.

The best way to decide would be to buy a cheapish second hand phone, and have a play with it. :man_shrugging:

Edit: Also, what @Ordog said. One isn’t better than the other - they are just different

2 Likes

iPhone hardware quality tends to be better.
iPhone experience tends to be more consistent (less phones to develop for) and slicker.

That said, I’d never switch from Android, I’m feeling bad enough about moving from my Pixel 2 XL to a Samsung S10, back to Pixel for me next time.

For me, it’s the Google stuff, not the Android stuff that sets it apart.

Google Photos is the best photo app, Google Maps is the best map app (although Apple Maps is catching up), Google Assistant kicks Siri’s arse, Google Chrome is the best browser (and the Google Chrome on iOS still isn’t real Google Chrome IIRC) and Google Now has no real equivalent on iOS.

6 Likes

GreenerGrass

15 Likes

I prefer Android, again I’ve always used it so I’m used to it.

I prefer the more open platform as I used to root and ROM my phones back in the day. Now I generally stick to what it comes with and use apps too customise. (Currently an s8 user, previously an S6, and before that the Note 2)

Edit: I also have Samsung Buds and a little doc to use Samsung DeX

1 Like

Photos, Maps and Chrome are all on iOS as well. Though the handoff between Safari on iOS and MacOs is really good.

I agree about Siri, though. I use it for basic tasks (opening apps, playing music and podcasts, getting basic info), and it’s OK, just not great.

You should resent Apple for forcing you into this position.

The cool thing about Google is that their services are almost always cross-platform. I would bet that you use many of them already - YouTube, Maps, Gmail, Search, etc.

I think one of the best things about Android is simply the choice. You can choose the device and price point that meets your needs. If you want an absolute powerhouse of a device and don’t mind paying a premium price, get a Galaxy Note 10 Plus. If you want a “pure” vision of Android as Google intends it, with cutting edge AI features and the tightest hardware/software integration then you can get a Pixel. If you want a device with flagship specs at a lower price with a community-driven approach, then get a OnePlus.

And if you enjoy taking pictures, the cameras on the current top-range Android devices (Huawei P30 Pro, Galaxy Note 10+, OnePlus 7 Pro) are absolutely wiping the floor with Apple.

In dxomark’s camera reviews, Apple’s current flagship (XS Max) is 10th place in the list.

You can expect the upcoming Pixel 4 (out next month) to take top spot. I would be very surprised if it didn’t.

EDIT - Also Google Assistant is next level, Siri is really a joke in comparison.

5 Likes

I was having this conversation with a friend earlier today (discussing the upcoming iPhone and how it looks to be a fairly bland update).

The reality for me is that I don’t need anything more than the current iPhone (or even the iPhone 7/8), and it’s the same for the vast majority of people.

Sure, you can get caught up in specs, and Android fans typically look at this as a way of comparing Android devices (you can’t really compare Android specs with Apple specs).

But what real difference do these specs make? Not a lot - Certainly nothing that is massively noticeable.

I think it’s got to the point for a lot of people where “getting the latest” phone is a tiny tiny upgrade.

For me, there is nothing that switching to Android would offer me… Likewise, if I was Android, there would be nothing to take me to iOS.

The potential benefits would not outweigh the hassle IMO.

2 Likes

If the camera is your thing then wait and you could get a mega camera (see what I did there :wink: )

Yep. This, absolutely.

3 Likes

That does sound impressive. That sensor combined with Google’s next level image processing would be something incredible.

1 Like

I’ve moved between the two OS regularly for the past 5 or 6 years.

What I do find is that everytime I get an Android phone, (currently using Pixel 3), I quickly regret the decision then start counting down the months until my upgrade is due again so I can get an iphone… I cant find a definitive answer why I feel like this but there are somethings with Android that irritate me… I dont think its the OS itself, more what goes with it, for example malware targetting in apps, people injecting mining code into apps,etc… I think Google are not as good as apple in preventing or slowing down the distribution of rogue apps.

With regards to pricepoints I think a lot of the time the flagship android devices trump apple on certain benchmarks, specs tend to be sometimes slightly better and usually slightly cheaper.

OS Updates - depending on manufacturer, updates can take forever on Android, Samsung are slow in my experience whereas Apple update at the first opportunity which you would come to expect in their situation. This isnt a fault of Android, merely an issue caused by multiple manufacturers having to test things.

Id also sway towards iphone for the resale value…

The one thing stopping me moving to android (and I think this sounds silly) is the difference in quality of the Monzo app. My partner is on android and the app is so poor in comparison to iOS.

1 Like

I second this… a lot of apps for me are better on ios. Ive recently purchased an ipad mini because of this.

I think the whole camera argument is a little bit of a red herring.

If you are really into photography, you’ll likely have your own camera anyway (that would smash any mobile device). If you want the absolute best mobile camera, then sure, you can get an Android device (one of those you mentioned).

But the vast majority of people couldn’t frame a decent picture anyway, they just point and shoot, which the iPhone does equally as well as others on the whole.

These scientific tests never come close to echoing the real usage for most people.

If I was starting from scratch right now, I’d probably start with Android on the sole basis I could spent half as much to see if I liked it (and still get a flagship device).

But if I already used apps I liked (and I find iOS much smoother than Android if you are generally into the Applesphere for obvious reasons), I’d stick with what I liked.

FWIW, I feel I’ve taken some photos with an iPhone that wouldn’t look any better with an Android device (but I’m sure I’m biased on that one!)

I disagree, purely on the basis of Night Mode.

Check out the outside, low-light photo comparisons towards the bottom of that article.

I’ve taken similar, and been equally impressed with the results.

This requires no skill, and is simply point and shoot, and the 2018’s iPhones don’t even come close to 2017’s Pixels in this regard.

2 Likes

Which makes me wonder if there’s an unspoken preference for a particular platform within the development team. Unlikely, I guess, as there are platform-specific teams, unless I’m very much mistaken…

(Must say I’ve always had both operating systems and like both apps.)

OK, I was talking in general - There are certainly advantages to some of the stuff - Nightmode being the biggest camera advantage (which is very cool).

But how many photos are taken at that kind of time? If you are someone who takes photos then… enough to ignore other features, then it’s probably not even a conversation… You are going for the Pixel regardless.

The fact that someone asks what has become a pretty common question, usually means they have no super specific needs like this… It’s a tick in the “pro” column for the Pixel, but would hold very little weight in most people’s decision making I’d think.

On the new navigation at least, I’ve found our app to be practically identical on both the Pixel 2 XL that I have, and the iPhone XR. I could be missing something, I suppose, but I really struggle to see anything different.

1 Like