Switch to Starling or be loyal to Monzo

Starling decided to launch only after it was ready to launch as a fully fledged bank. Monzo decided to launch prepaid card first so was able to launch earlier.

3 Likes

And has struggled to lose that tag as a prepaid card imo

5 Likes

I have never known Monzo as a prepaid card? :wink:

2 Likes

If you joined after April 2018 then you’ll only know about it when you venture into a business that still goes sorry we don’t take that pink prepaid card. And your line is it’s no longer pre-paid and a real bank and everything. And they stubbornly go no.

2 Likes

What! No way

What was the issue with prepaid cards, i had a Loot card a few years ago and i loved it and never had issues with acceptance. Does it cost more to accept a prepaid card?

1 Like

You’re a Monzosaurusrex but you weren’t there from the beginning?
The mask is beginning to slip. I think this is proof that dinosaurs didn’t actually exist. Sorry kids. :wink:

Hey! I used a winky face. I remember Mondo but unfortunately i was with Loot when fintech was in my grasp. Maybe Dinosaurs are not real :wink:

1 Like

Well prepaid had teething issues, but the key issue is people wanting debit/credit card and still thinking it’s pre-paid.

You’ll also on the flip side have issues at some paypoints where they don’t think it will work until you have to shake them shouting “just try it FFS”.

Monzos had loads of little occasions where say they don’t accept the sort number because they haven’t updated their records and think that Monzo isn’t a real bank.

You had Asda multiple times have issues and even “accidentally” blocked the BIN so it didn’t work and you had people saying no we don’t accept Monzo here for the next six months because staff aren’t updated with what actually happened.

Oh, i never knew any of this. It’s interesting to find out about it now as well to be honest. I’m guessing I’m very lucky to not have come across these issues. Now i suppose its not the biggest issue as i have the Premium Metal Card (flex not intended :wink:). So no one can mistake it for the Hot Coral Card

Metal card has its own issues :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

None taken :wink:

1 Like

Yep - agreed!

1 Like

There were (possibly) apocryphal stories of people leaving their (empty) pre-paid cards behind the bar and never going back to pay, for one.

2 Likes

I’m sure my Loot said Prepaid on the back. However that is both genius and also completely unfair on the business that’s getting mugged off

The Monzo prepaid ones had no name on them, which probably facilitated such deplorable behaviour.

1 Like

I would give Starling a go AND keep your Monzo. Both husband and I have both. We’re mostly with Monzo, but some of my weekly outgoings come out of Starling, and it’s good for paying in at the post office and scanning cheques.

Maybe you could amalgamate your joint debits in Starling and keep your personal spending in Monzo?

Probably should be added to the OP

:thinking:

1 Like

Starling have this year been ahead in terms of innovation. Monzo have sadly moved backwards. Lots of legacy banks are bringing in budget controls and spending information and the ability to view other accounts within the app.

If starling bring in automation around their spaces, like Monzo currently do. The gap between them will close even more.

You love to hate Monzo which is the same thing :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like