Switch to Monzo and Help us Test the Current Account Switch Service

If you don’t support transferring a negative balance to Monzo, can I do a transfer using BACS/Faster Payments/debit card from Monzo to the source account for this when the time comes, or should I (can I?) change the date to after I get paid?

EDIT: also, is this explained in the terms? I did read them, but I might have missed that…

1 Like

It depends on how your old bank works, the fact that you have a negative balance with the old bank should not prevent the switch from completing. They will likely reach out to you after the switch has completed with instructions for how you should pay them.

3 Likes

Thanks. We’ll see what happens I guess. I will report back here when I know more :grin:

1 Like

Just kicked off a partial switch.

Although it isn’t an issue for me, it should probably be made clear that overdrafts/negative balances cannot be transferred. There are probably quite a few people this may have an impact on.

3 Likes

Just had the notification pop up in my feed, will be starting a partial switch and full switch. Monzo will then be my main bank! :raised_hands:

Thinking about it can we start more than one switch at once?

:tada:You can start multiple switches to Monzo at the same time as long as they are from different bank accounts.

8 Likes

Woo :star_struck: Thanks

Just started my switch. Seemed seemless and a lot less stressful than the last time I swapped banks. I understand that you can swap more than one account but I think it would be useful if you click on switch account that it tells you one is already in progress - do you want to transfer another.

@theshillito - I choose to swap after my salary was paid in this month - just felt better for me!

1 Like

With the overdraft situation a few posts back, sounds like I should’ve done the same :laughing: I became an example of an answer to my own question!

1 Like

4 Likes

:tada:

3 Likes

Incredible - went for the partial switch from Starling - received the list of payments to select from in a matter of hours in my Monzo app

5 Likes

With the screenshot Jack just shared, my main feeling when I saw this was ‘ah, oh no, did I somehow select the full switch instead of the partial!’.

It would be good if the copy could reflect the switch option that you choose here :slight_smile:

Similarly, after being given 8 payments that I could switch across and choosing just one for now, it would be good to have the confirmation indicate if I would be able to switch the others over at a later date in the same way? I assume so, but it is an assumption.

1 Like

Great point! I will pass this feedback on to our design team. Thanks :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Not sure why but the first sentence doesn’t read right to me?

Just also submitted my full switch . Goodbye NatWest and thanks for the free £125 :tada:

2 Likes

:heart:

I now have one DD switched over. When I was selecting it from the list it showed the amount it was for and when it comes out, but now I’m on the Scheduled payments screen it no longer shows either (and when I tap on it it asks if I would want to cancel).

Will this be updated when the first payment comes out? If it was known before switching, should it not already show the amount on this screen? For the standing order I have it shows the amount on the right hand side.

I did get a notification when the switch was completed, but I didn’t get a new feed item. So my feed now shows ‘Account switch in progress/ We’re waiting to hear from your old bank’, but no confirmation there that it worked. I can of course know by looking into Scheduled payments, but I have already forgotten the text that was on the confirmation notification, and I can’t remember if any of it was important…

1 Like

I’ve had £125 from NatWest and £125 from Halifax so far. Still a few more on my list for later in the year too :moneybag:

1 Like

Nice one! I did first direct £125, Yorkshire Bank £250, Halifax £125 and now NatWest £125. Think I’ve got all I want now. Started by opening an account just to move around. Now that’s been instructed closed down and move to Monzo as it’s no longer needed :clap:t3:

1 Like

Yeah I opened a second account at Lloyds as my burner account, best way to avoid any issues I think.

1 Like

Any more worthwhile banks to move into for cash back