Swiping left on magnetic stripes

Mastercard credit and debit cards will not be required to have a stripe starting in 2024 in most markets. By 2033, no Mastercard credit and debit cards will have magnetic stripes.

11 Likes

Makes sense. I’ve never needed to swipe my card in well over 10 years, if not longer.

The same with signature strips. I’ve never signed my card or had an issue with it not being signed.

8 Likes

You’ve never had a chip fail? Most of mine have after a few months of use, so have found myself in awkward moments expected to use swipe and sign with no signature on the back of my card! Got booted out of boots once because of that. Can’t use swipe and sign unless the card is signed apparently, first time I’ve ever seen that enforced.

2 Likes

Haha nope. Guess I’m just lucky? :smiley:

More recently I use Google Pay all the time, so that makes it even less likely/impossible.

5 Likes

Do people even use debit cards anymore? I’m seeing more taps of phones these days.

:sweat_smile:

I assume they have given another 12 years to allow backward places like USA to catch up.

4 Likes

What do you do to your cards? Serious question - I’ve only ever needed to replace one card (in 1986/87 when the mag stripe delaminated). Mine are kept in a leather wallet in my pocket and seem to last just fine. Some of the card edges get a bit tatty towards the expiry date but the chip, contactless and magstripe are fine.

Edit - I’ve replaced two. In the days prior to Chip and PIN the signature strip wore off an Amex card through regular use and I had to ask for a new one a few months early.

5 Likes

Please say you were wearing boots at the time.

8 Likes

Yes, a lot of people still use debit cards.

4 Likes

The sweat smile was me being jokey :grinning: It was laughing at the fact that we are talking about magnetic stripes that for most people either used last in 1998 or never needed to swipe.

I’m not actually suggesting people don’t use debit cards anymore. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

In 12 years time we’ll all have chips in our fingers that we just point towards the machine and shout verzurveuspayus and it’ll be done.

3 Likes

By 2033 we’ll probably have the chips implanted in our hand by law.

Edit: obviously on the same wavelength as @Revels

:handshake:

^ Also one way for person to person payments :thinking:

3 Likes

You have led a very sheltered life (when it comes to card usage)

2 Likes

Nothing besides stuffing them into ATMs and card readers. They always seem to scratch my chips up pretty bad after just a few uses. Other than that they collect dust in a drawer until I put them in my pocket or boot.

I mostly use Apple Pay for everything now, but my one year old Monzo card stopped working after a few months of bi-weekly withdrawals from the ATM at Tesco.

I was wearing boots at the time.

3 Likes

I might have the solution keep the cards in a wallet :slight_smile:

Must be cheaper to buy weed in larger quantities, how about 1 larger withdrawal each month?
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

:joy: it’s for pizza!

3 Likes

Weed topping on pizza, fair play. You must eat a lot of pizza! :wink:

6 Likes

I genuinely can’t remember swiping a card more than once or twice in my entire life.

I think my last chip and pin was probably a couple years ago now too.

2 Likes

If I’m to pay with my fingertip, I’d also want an LED built in. Is the inductive field of a card terminal powerful enough to make it emit a faint glow when I pay?

3 Likes

It’s time for Badger Pay to shine

3 Likes

This means 1 less toggle in app :muscle:

3 Likes