✅ Support for Samsung Pay

Samsung pay user here. I prefer it for not having to turn on my phone for TfL (I commute on a different card that is in my Samsung pay).

With the upcoming changes to contactless + needing PIN every so often, no Samsung Pay could become a deal-breaker for me actually using my Monzo card.
I am willing to try out GPay if it is the only choice, but whether I’d make the move would totally depend on TfL convenience over everything else for me.

Hope the priority for alternative contactless is bumped up a bit higher with the restrictions happening on physical card contactless payments!

G Pay allows you to not enter in your passcode/biometrics for smaller transactions as well for quick transactions - so that would solve the TFL worry right ? Out of curiosity - what else makes you stay with samsung pay and not just use G pay ?

1 Like

Whilst there certainly is interest, at the moment it’s barely cracking the Top 20 in votes here on the forum, and as it currently stands, if we made the decision right now to build it it’d be taking away engineering time on other projects that are vitally important.

Additionally, in Q4 we aren’t committing to too many brand new projects in favour of putting more people on less things to bolster our core offerings and improve what we actually have.

There’s certainly a case to be made to do it and it’s not like we haven’t had these discussions internally. The problem is there are also strong business needs that, at the current time, negate that case right now.

7 Likes

I’m talking about this feature specifically (pictured), where I don’t have to turn on my screen or unlock my phone to use it on TfL

I like the UX around quick access to loyalty cards in Samsung Pay too, but the screen-off-tfl as mentioned is the real reason I use it over GPay

Yea I’m pretty sure GPay allows you to do a similar thing for purchases up to £30 (including transport) - I don’t use GPay myself but have experience with it

Google Pay user on a Samsung here.
Google Pay needs the device to be awake but you don’t need the phone unlocked for it to work, so whilst you can’t use it with screen off, waking the screen really isn’t any sort of inconvenience.

Samsung’s wearables are the only reason why I can see why someone would use Samsung Pay over Google Pay in the UK. I’ve gone as far as disabling it on my device.

7 Likes

:hot_coral_heart: :hot_coral_heart:

3 Likes

As Monzo USA will be a thing, I guess it will support the push for Samsung Pay a little more. It’s big over there as almost everywhere takes it (being MagStripe friendly). It is accepted in much more places than the others as they was slow to adopt chip & PIN. I travel every two weeks there for work and I soon realised just how slow as to adopt contact-less.

Samsung Pay will be vital for a launch in the USA so just hope this helps the push for us in the UK. I’m still hopeful my Galaxy Watch will be able to make Monzo payments in the future!

1 Like

People who vote on this forum I’d regard as ‘power users’ and not a general consensus of users. I fend people on here seem to know more about the tech and it doesn’t reflect what the general public would vote for.

I believe there would be different results if there was a vote in the app. Maybe a section where we can vote to add a new feature every few months where someone who hasn’t found the need to register on a forum can have a go.

I think the results would be much different for any new feature.

I believe a banking forum isn’t the place we would see the typical Monzo customer. I know my girlfriend who is a Monzo user would never think to come here and vote for a feature that she would use daily.

2 Likes

I think this would be likely to mean that Samsung Pay is an even less popular request amongst the general Monzo customer base. It is very much a techy/power user request.

2 Likes

I am yet to get monzo because I use samsung pay without my watch as they never introduced it on the Gear S2 in the UK.

The killer feature for me is that Samsung allow you to nominate a transport card which works on the London transport system without unlocking or waking the handset. It also supports iris unlock on regular payments which I find easier than fingerprint. These are the reasons why i use it instead of google pay. I still have google pay installed and keep loyalty cards in it as well as registered debit cards so could use them concurrently but it would annoy me that everything wasn’t in one place as it could be with monzo

1 Like

This works for the smartphones but not for smartwatch. So, will happen that most of the people will open an account with Starling Bank (it seems to be the most popular) only to use it on smartwatch and in the end will stop to use Monzo, because most of the purchase will be done with the watch. At least for Samsung owners and the new Samsung Watch Active 2 seems be very popular.

I love the way Starling is used as some sort of talisman in so many “we want” posts.

The reality is that Monzo have the data of who tries to use their card with which which payment mechanism and can see things on here (like the recent poll where only 4% of respondents were interested in Samsung Pay). When the demand is big enough, I imagine something will change.

If you’re lucky, someone may even be working on it as a quiet background task at the moment.

4 Likes

The only thing putting me of the Samsung smart watch is I could only use my amex on it

voted, i think this is one of the things my starling has that monzo doesnt! how could they fall behind. really hoping i can get this working on my samsung watch soon.

Starling got it for free from their third party card processor so there’s no mystery there.
I think the issue for Monzo is all the certification hoops that will need to be jumped through for each type of payment and the amount of effort that would take.

4 Likes

Their super reliable card processor to boot!

2 Likes

They were just trying to help their customers get through No-Spendtember…

(4 times)

2 Likes

Hi has there been any update to this? Is any work ongoing to implement Monzo on Samsung Pay?

Doesn’t look like it.