Supermarket contactless payment

Ok, so a couple of days ago I payed at the supermarket contactless with Apple pay with my Monzo account.
At first it got declined after a minute or two of “authorizing “. But in the meantime I’ve already been charged for what I bought. The clerk called a manager and the manager told me that everything is fine, the transaction is void and I will be payed back by the bank.
So I payed again but this time with the actual debit card, contactless again, and had no issues this time.

My question is, why on the receipt when I payed with Apple pay the card number ends in ***9426 but when I payed with the debit card it shows ***6655, the real number that is on the card?Uploading: B3F5C549-8B06-47AE-9D29-3539354F4909.jpeg…

Because Apple assigns a different number to you which can only be used on that device. It’s part of their privacy and security environment. It means that your real card number doesn’t get transmitted through the system.

4 Likes

If you navigate on your iPhone to Settings → Wallet & Apple Pay, and then select the card, you’ll see card number and device account number are different.

Worth knowing this, since if you ever need to get a refund on an Apple Pay purchase, you’ll need to provide that device account number rather than the card number.

2 Likes

Where can you see the full device account number? I only see the last four digits on that screen.

In a nutshell, the card number Apple Pay uses is different to the card number on your card.

Awesome guys. Thank you very much for the help. Now I know :+1:t2:

This is what I can see. It’s at the bottom.