Different Debit Card Numbers for one account

So I recently found out that most of the times the debit card number shown in my payment receipts is totally different to the number of my actual debit card (Plastic and Apple Pay) I needed to return some items and the shop manager refused because the numbers are not matching! Even though I showed her my card and bank movement they said the refund cannot be made. Can anybody help me with this? What happens if a store “refund” the card with a different card number? Will I still get it back into my Monzo Bank account?

How did you pay?
If you used apple pay you can go into your wallet app, hit the three dots top right hand corner and reveal the last 4 digits of the apple pay card.

But from my experience the transaction is reversed to the original place it came from.

Even when a store has verified me using a different card…

YMMV good luck

2 Likes

Numbers not matching won’t stop a refund. It’s a separate transaction, it might be policy or a jobsworth, but what if your card had expired in between? Or been lost?

2 Likes

How did you pay at the time?

1 Like

Thank you very much, the mystery has been solved! I do pay most of the times with my wallet app. Will go back to the shop and see if I can still get a refund then. :pray:t3::pray:t3::pray:t3:

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. Nobody was sure about the refund with different numbers :raised_hands:t3:

2 Likes

Wallet App - which now I’ve see shows the “device” number instead of my actual debit card’s :woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

I believe this is what you’re meant to use. Can you check it matches the receipt?

1 Like

Yep, same with Google Pay for me. It’s a “virtual card” number.

I gave up being honest with shopkeepers asking for “the card you paid with” when you want a refund. They just get confused when you try to explain and their default answer when they’re not sure is to refuse.

You can theoretically just stick any card in. No checks are made to confirm that the details match.

4 Likes

Is this an Android thing? On iOS the card number in wallet matches my physical card.

In the past when this has happened I’ve just whipped out the physical card and refund it is, even if I used apple wallet to pay for the original.

SideNote: just realised the apple wallet app has some really rich merchant detail. even for my legacy account which doesn’t In app. You can even suggest logo and location improvements

Apple Pay shows you your card number (last 4 digits at least), but if you look there should be a Device Account Number. If you pay with Apple Pay that should show on the receipt instead of your actual card number.

2 Likes

It’ll show the last 4 digits of your physical card on Apple Pay home page but if you head to wallet, tap the card and then top right dots, your device account number is the card number given to merchants when using Apple Pay, an additional layer of security from your real card

3 Likes

Mind blown. I never knew that.

Good luck with your refend OP :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is a policy is most shops and to be honest the only thing I can think of is it’s probably to try and help combat fraud of finding a receipt and then picking something off the shelf and returning it.

I’ve been in this situation before and just explained it was my phone and there alright, but you’ll always get one jobsworth, go back another day and see another person and it’ll probably be fine! If not, ask for a manager