Status of the Android app vs the iOS app

@alexs I like how most of the things for the next 3 months (short term) are mainly android feature updates along side other major new features. Shows their commitment to the android users

1 Like

There’s actually dedicated teams for the Android & iOS apps. But as you say, Monzo’s definitely pushing to get to feature parity as soon as possible.

The good news is that Tristan (product manager for Android) has mentioned that development of the app is more straightforward, thanks to the work that’s already been done in the iOS app.
And while we’re on the subject - following on from some of the other posts in this thread - that illustrates the fact that this is not a zero sum game, where a feature being built first for one platform (it might be the Android app that gets features first in the future), is bad news for the users of the other OS :slightly_smiling_face:

Exactly, nothing worse than slowing down the development of one platform for another. Glad they have teams working on both, hopefully Android will catch up quickly so I don’t have to buy an iPhone :wink:

1 Like

Indeed, you have to remember that there’s a silent third platform here, the backend servers!

Once a feature such as payments with friends, Monzo.me or the magstripe ATM toggle have been developed on the backend and on one of the client applications, it becomes easier (but not always easy) to bring the feature to another platform based on the existing work and specifications. (I stress that this is only true for some applications.)

One thing that’s interesting to note is features coming to Android are also being revisited on the backend and iOS. See the older P2P payments gaining a lot of behind the scenes functionality (enabling much of monzo.me) and becoming payments with friends.

2 Likes

Thats really interesting to know. It makes a lot of sense for them be reviewing the backend when pushing new features to see what can be made more efficient and so on. As a developer myself this really intrigues me :slight_smile:

For everyone who’s eagerly anticipating the next updates to the Android app, several Android features were added to the roadmap / moved yesterday & Tristan shared some updates on Monzo’s priorities for Android users, in the first half of the year, here -

3 Likes

Hello Monzo!

You guys are very exciting.

I love loads of the stuff you guys are doing - active community, responding quickly and honestly, it feels like a great place to be. Everything is so much more human! Coming from HSBC, that’s not the biggest challenge, but you cracked it.

A main reason I joined though was to use Targets, and didn’t realise ahead of time that it wasn’t an available feature for android users. It looks like it’s not particularly loved on the Trello board either. Maybe everybody’s just a lot better at tracking their own money than me :slight_smile:

Anyway, top work. I’m really excited to be a part of it!

1 Like

Actually, to be fair, I just figured out a way round it. Everything is sweet again. Awesome app, great job!

2 Likes

Hi Paul, can you share your method with the class then? Could be useful for others. :wink:

Thanks a lot for your feedback Paul! We’re focusing on getting some of the core banking features up to scratch at present, in preparation for our transition to a fully licensed bank. We’ll definitely shift the focus back onto introducing more functionality to the app after this. Pretty sure Targets will be pretty high on the list!

Would be great to hear your way around it in the meantime too?:eyes:

1 Like

That’s great to hear. Still loving the functionality!

My way is a bit archaic - I’m using Monzo primarily as a way to control my spending as I’m a bit of a fanny when it comes to limiting my budget. So I’m setting a budget externally (actually on paper!!!) then weekly transferring the required amount. The notifications and easy app are still great for helping me stick to budget, so I’m happy!

Thanks for being so responsive.

2 Likes

But isn’t that the very point. More android phones in existance than iPhones, yet companies start off with iPhone app development well before they look to Android.

2 Likes

Exactly, the fact that most companies start with iPhone app development before Android, despite the latter having greater market share, tells you that, that’s not the most important factor to consider when you’re choosing which platform to develop your app on first.

If you’re wondering what they are, I’d recommend watching the beginning of the last WWDC keynote. The things that Apple highlight are the things that encourage development for iOS, it’s not just marketing.

Just a reminder for anyone reading these posts, we can discuss this but obviously it’s not going to change the fact that the Monzo app was built for iOS first so this is purely academic at this point.

1 Like

Very similar to my approach Paul! Never hurts to have a tangible note to hand as a reminder when planning for the month ahead :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks again for the feedback :+1:

I’m not sure where this should be posted. But why is it that i cant put values that aren’t multiples of 10 into my monzo account without having to wait for the next day? Surely it would be better to have a specify amount field instead of a list of possibles

1 Like

Hugo had some comments on that design choice back when topping up using a card was still a new feature on iOS.

1 Like

It was because of Tom’s OCD apparently. But i personally don’t mind it but I can see that some people might have an issue with it.

I know others with OCD that want to load a very specific sum to ensure their account reverts to a round figure

1 Like

I can totally see that. The workaround is to use a bank transfer. Although this takes until the next working day

1 Like

I/we know that you can send a bank transfer of any amount, it does not change the fact that the Monzo top up is so dreadfully restrictive and stops you entering in an amount the user wants not what Monzo wants! I thought Monzo wants to be a bank that puts the customer first?

2 Likes