Starling Feedback

Yes, and makes total sense. :grinning:

2 Likes

With monzo hitting half a million current accounts, is there any indication of how many accounts starling has?

Iā€™ve seen folk postulate in various quarters, but nothing definitive, or even ball-park.

As far as I know, this is the closest weā€™ve come to a confirmed figure -

2 Likes

Well thatā€™s fairly clear. Well spotted :grinning:

Unfortunately Starling wouldnā€™t let me have a current account, and Revolut would so I have 2 at the moment. I am toggling the 2 but Iā€™ve decided anyway to fully go to monzo when the top up fees come, hopefully it will be after CASS implementation then itā€™s bye bye legacy bank.

Looks like their focus will be shifting. I wonder if they will start by removing the free ATM withdrawals abroadā€¦
imageimage

3 Likes

I donā€™t think companies should ever be beyond innovationā€¦

15 Likes

Sounds like nonsense doesnā€™t it :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Absolutely, but Iā€™m justā€¦ somehow unsurprised.

3 Likes

Complete nonsense :exploding_head:

At least they are being honest with what they are trying to achieve.

Granted, the ā€œbeyond innovationā€ comment was ridiculous - You can be innovative and profitable at the same time.

Butā€¦ no point in having features galore and new tricks if you canā€™t make enough money to stick around.

Not to mentionā€¦ the more profitable they are, the more they can give back in incentives etc.

4 Likes

I think we need to reflect that these are soundbites being taken from a wider dialogue at a conference being broadcast on the medium of Twitterā€¦

Do l think that Starling is now turning itā€™s back on innovation, no l absolutely donā€™t. Do l think the messages here is that Starling (and prehaps others) have got to a point in their products that now it is time to shift to scale, yes l do.

If we want these businesses to be here for the long term they have to move beyond 100k or 500k users. My view is that if you want to go from 500k to a billion users you will always need to innovative. That may not always be product (app) innovation that is your #1 driver to get you there. It may be customer service innovation or machine learning innovation or something else.

4 Likes

On the other hand, I feel like switching to scalability and profitability while their card still fails every other week is a bit of a stretch. Once they dump GPS and replace it with a reliable in-house alternative Iā€™ll fully support them.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve experienced no issues with Starling card for months.

7 Likes

you had your card fail recently?

1 Like

I closed my Starling account due to other issues (disagreeing with their processes and policies), but GPS often has outages and I wouldnā€™t want to have my main account rely on that. Iā€™m okay with GPS for prepaid, secondary cards (in fact its own name suggests that - Global Prepaid Solutions), but for my main account I want something thatā€™s a bit more reliable.

Not saying Monzo is perfect, but it seems each outage we have here is due to something different and we always get a detailed post-mortem report with steps taken to ensure it doesnā€™t happen again - there is hope that once these bugs have been ironed out it will be stable. GPS regularly goes down with no end in sight - itā€™s been like that even back when the Monzo prepaid card used them, so any kind of hope that they will finally fix those issues is out the window.

4 Likes

im sorry but youā€™ve been banging this drum quite a while now.

explain to everyone when you closed your account for clarity. because it seems youā€™re more upset because they wouldnā€™t let you reopen it.

since iā€™ve had a monzo and starling both current accounts - monzo has gone down more. that is fact.

12 Likes

Just closed my Starling account too. Had to agree that Iā€™d never be able to reopen it or open another one in the future. Whatever. Makes me not want to go back or recommend them even more. Just left a nasty taste in my mouth.

End result of speaking to customer service was the same as monzo - fab. Always get the impression though that the monzo guys are having fun speaking to people when trying to help, not just doing it as a paid job.

All l I ever see in the media is their CEO. Thatā€™s literally the only press I see. Why the CEO started the bank and the awards they win. Yawn.

4 Likes