Starling Feedback

Yes you are going to have to type the password you entered in full every time you want to do anything. E. G. To set up a payment, make a payment or to export a statement.
This is really annoying even with simple passwords. The effect is to make you want to keep the password as simple as possible which is self defeating. Asking for partial input, E.G. Enter characters x and y might be better but to me it shows how much a true beta Starling really is at present.

The UI definitely needs work as having requested a payment itā€™s made the moment you correctly enter the password without the option to check and confirm final details.

1 Like

I would be using lastpass on my phone to fill this, so pain point is not that grotesque as I described in my train of thoughts. I kinda kept my comment over the top to highlight my comments. :smirk:

I fully agree with your points, less tech savvy users will pick rubbish password. I wonder what Monzoā€™s approach will be once current accounts are here. :grin:

1 Like

So my account was opened on Tuesday, card dispatched yesterday so I havenā€™t been able to use the account yet. My only gripe so far is I do not want an overdraft however itā€™s being thrown in my face.

Under my balance is text sayingā€¦

Overdraft available up to Ā£n,nnn
Find out more

Thatā€™s all well and good however, has a credit search been carried out to pre-approve this and how can I decline the offer cause it looks awful.

I think a ā€œsoft searchā€, which doesnā€™t effect your credit score, is carried out when you open the account, so they know what to offer as a ā€œpre approvedā€ over draft limit, similar to how most of the free credit check facilities (Clearscore etc.) do to give you pre approval scores on credit cards and loans. My pre approved limit changed the day after Iā€™d opened the account, so obviously some kind of check had been made.

Starling state a hard check is carried out when you actually take up the offer of an overdraft, but canā€™t confirm if this is the case.

EDIT: The overdraft offer disappeared from the home page for me after a few days and went to, I think, the settings tab where there is a specific overdraft option. Donā€™t think you can turn it down but, so long as you donā€™t take up the offer, itā€™s not effecting anything in your credit history.

1 Like

:thumbsup:

That is good to hear. I hope/expect :monzo: to do something similar, where youā€™re notified of the option initially, but can ignore (or ideally dismiss) it so that subsequently it only appears in an appropriate part of the app. I canā€™t stand online banking interfaces that always put a link to ā€˜upgradeā€™ your account in a conspicuous place in the main interface.

1 Like

I agree with this :100: percent!

1 Like

Mine is still on the main page:

And the ā€˜Find out moreā€™ leads to:

1 Like

Stays there for 5 days according to the Starling staff.

2 Likes

My overdraft limit suggestion is still there, and I joined on May 19. It gives the feeling of cross-selling, and Iā€™d prefer it moved to the options menu.

Your screen-cap also gives a good idea of the point I was making about how using a day as the base unit of analysis isnā€™t as good as Monzo. Being presented with an empty pie chart and the bleeding obvious ā€˜No transactions todayā€™ feels like a complete waste of an opportunity to delight and inform me.

Have been recommending Monzo more than ever since I signed up for Starling. Oh dear.

Seems to reappear after uninstalling and then reinstalling the app, assume it will take another 5 days to disappear again

1 Like

I feel this is the way I will be going. Itā€™ll be nice to use the switch service from Starling to Monzoā€¦ I reckon there will be quite a few doing that :joy:

3 Likes

I must be lucky as i think i declined the option for an overdraft, and its never been seen of since, even after reinstalling the appā€¦ I might be the lucky oneā€¦

3 Likes

To be fair, Starling has only been in the open for a couple of months, so the app was always going to be a long way behind where Monzo. They do need to open up a bit more about their direction of movement with the app and maybe even try engaging with users to get feedback and help improve their product.

When Monzo launch their full account it will become my main personal spending account, but Iā€™ll still give Starling a little longer just to see what they can do.

3 Likes

Yes indeed, and Iā€™ve mentioned a couple of times to Starling that introducing a forum like Monzoā€™s will bring huge benefits. Relying on Twitter as a primary source of feedback is clunky to say the least.

The Monzo forum is arguably itā€™s strongest limb and has certainly informed app development.

Come on Starling, this should be the easy bit.
By the way, Iā€™ve switched to them and although unexciting, Starling is very efficient, speedy in transaction and the support friendly.

3 Likes

Adding on from my comments earlier, my card arrived today. Strange way to send a card, in a jiffy bag.

3 Likes

Unboxing (or debagging) video?

2 Likes

Nah, it doesnā€™t even deserve one to be totally honest. I knew what the inside was like but the outside let it down, majorly bummed. Thought it would be at least half sensible.

disagree. outside was good as not obvious to a thief in Royal Mail that it contains a card unlike normal mailings. But inside the posh purple holder was overkill for something destined for the bin after you taken the card out

2 Likes

I guess there is that, however if the holder was in an envelope would you know itā€™s a card? Probably not.

After reading this thread on Starling, I downloaded the app, registered, got the card, offered 2k over draft!
It all looks very basic, the sign up process was seamless and quick.
The card looks great, real brand awareness.
Will I ditch Mondo ?
NO
Mondo app is far superior, and for me really listens to its "customers"
The only thing I donā€™t like ( I must be the only one) is the Colour of the Card, but hey its only a card!

I wonder how many more ā€œbanksā€ will pop up on line using the same process, it is like when the first Pre-Paid cards came out years ago, lots of companies jumped on the wagon.
I am off to Turkey on Monday for 2 weeks and my Trusted Mondo card with by with me.

1 Like