Starling Feedback

I think it’s more to do with the cost factor of people closing / re-opening accounts

But that is my point, with a fully digital bank there is no cost associated to closing/re-opening accounts, it’s literally just flipping a flag in the database. My closed Starling account for example is still accessible via the API, and if it wasn’t for the is_active flag being set to “No” the app would let me login.

4 Likes

Someone from starling has stated they aren’t interested in people who switch all the time to the newest shiny thing as they aren’t profitable customers.

1 Like

One thing that always gets me is the amount of super weird and different types of implementations of where the NFC reader bit on a card reader is. 95% of them are the “tap the screen” type… But every now and again I come across a new one and it can be confusing!

on the WePay / QR code thing, I read that it’s a really great system as, at the receiving payment end, it means you don’t require any hardware, contracts, terminals, readers or whatever - just a QR code on paper for your customers to scan.

I do like the idea of it.

Certified statement ?!
I contacted Barclays and Nationwide last year about statements. They replied that I can download them from online banking or they can send me SAME statements…
So Starling wanna charge for printing and postage ?

That’s fine. Why they have to spend money for sending statements to everyone?! I can buy printer for £20 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m glad to see Post Office deposits have finally been launched; it seems like a Monzo announcement has spurred Starling into action yet again (or it could be a coincidence :smirk:).

Not having cheque deposits is a bit of a shame, but I imagine cheque imaging will eventually follow (when is Monzo due to launch it? :grin:). However, comparing the implementation details (cost, limits, etc.) it’s clear Starling has a huge advantage. We’ll have to see how it works in practice, but right now Monzo’s cash deposit offering isn’t even in the same league as the options Starling will have.

2 Likes

I’m aware Starling have been working on this for a while; it just seems they always launch stuff just before Monzo. :grin:

2 Likes

I’ll clarify: I’m almost certain it’s more coincidence, and I’ll grant that Starling’s implementation is usually better outright. I’m pleasantly surprised by this cash deposit announcement and certainly gives me cause to revisit Starling, especially for recommendations to people who need cash deposits.

Edit: Dare I even say that the closing of the community has taken some heat off them. :astonished: Though I still would like more transparency, personally.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree; if they get on with being a great bank, which they seem to be doing now, then that’s great. I wouldn’t consider Monzo the solution though as I’m not sure Monzo is a bank. Starling remains my challenger bank choice mainly because of this, whereas Monzo is interesting now but I’m not sure long-term.

1 Like

Sorry, who does this? Starling? Or Monzo?

I know Starling do this as I’ve paid in a cheque and it features a scan of both sides when you tap on the deposit transaction

3 Likes

Ah, cool! This must be new then, as I’ve paid in a few cheques to Starling and never had this. (Most recent on 5th Oct). This would fix my annoyance of having no way to link the deposit transaction to a specific cheque. (As no pay in slip number).

PayPoint can bring in a new partner in a few weeks, normally it takes them around 3 months, with the Post Office it averages around 8 months for something more indepth like instant deposits or 5 months for something less complicated.

4 Likes

WePay is a stupid system. Passive cards so much more reliable that a phone, data connection etc etc etc

2 Likes

So, what’s it like here? Seriously considering given it has no deposit limits and I do deposit a lot of cash.

Nothing to lose in signing up to check it out. I think @danmullen posted the other day with some thought on the differences to Monzo

1 Like

This is the post I meant :point_up:

Cant seem to quote it on mobile.

Cash deposits if a very nice option…
But any information about 3D Secure?! :frowning:

Someone asked about that on Twitter recently and they said it was coming very soon.

2 Likes

Well…it wouldn’t be starling without some confusion.

But I guess there’s no official announcement yet :confused:

4 Likes