Starling Feedback

Can anyone specify what tweets were deleted. I am genuinely not aware of what we are talking here.

I believe it was @evangelskies who ā€œoutedā€ them on that one.

I personally havenā€™t trawled through their twitter feed.

1 Like

Oh I think it was mentioned by a couple of others on Starling forums as well. Long story short I went onto their Twitter feed yesterday to try and forward a link to an official response to my pal who was affected by multiple refunds because I saw tweets about the incident and responses to agitated customers the day or so before when the incident was ongoingā€¦ and couldnā€™t find them anymore.
They were all deleted after the incident was marked as resolved, just like the status page I guess.

7 Likes

Last time there was a big GPS outage Starling CEO posted this;

https://community.starlingbank.com/t/gps-outage/2949/26?u=ali

She got quite a few comments criticising her response and @anon95680666 had to permanently put up statement next to his username about being related to Tom LOL :joy:

I know it wasnā€™t just because of this only kidding Ian

Starling could be great but I will never understand why they think Customer Service and reliability are not that important.

3 Likes

This was back during the January GPS outage, and itā€™s still happening.
https://community.starlingbank.com/t/gps-outage/2949/45
And this was from the other day
https://community.starlingbank.com/t/gps-outage/2949/104

3 Likes

I think Starling could definitely use something like Monzoā€™s # status tab in Slack. Itā€™s free and would notify people instantly.

Edit: apparently this exists but it hasnā€™t been active in ages.

1 Like

I was originally with Starling from the month they launched and really liked the app, for me the UI felt a little cleaner than Monzoā€™s and Android was always on par with iOS which was a bonus. However, I could not continue to use them. The way the communicate and handle customer interaction just doesnā€™t sit right. Alway too slow to react to issues. Getting in touch with them for anything was a chore and more difficult than it needed to be, sometimes I wouldnā€™t even get a response.

The staff in the community liked saying ā€˜coming soonā€™,
or ā€˜weā€™ll add that to our listā€™ and then there would be silenceā€¦ Theyā€™ll only ever pop up again when there is enough noise from community members. They had the opportunity to get on top of some really cool features early on, I remember myself and a few others pushing for things like a coin jar back in mid-17 but nothing came of it. Monzo feels like itā€™s steaming ahead while Starling just feel stagnant now, all just my opinion of course.

Anyway, finally moved my day-to-day to Monzo and after two months Iā€™m really happy. Iā€™ve needed to replace my card twice :sweat_smile: but each time contact with staff has been fast, friendly and just worked and I love the overall transparency.

The only thing I miss is the great overdraft rate, but I can live without it.

3 Likes

I wonder if Starling sticks with GPS just because theyā€™ve got a really good deal with them, due to the fact they seem to be the only bank to use them, thus being a strategic client for GPS (everyone else - Revolut, Loot, Curve are more prepaid cards than actual banks) and having preferential rates with them.

In any case, as far as customers are concerned this is really bad. Anne ā€œtaking responsibilityā€ for outages only works once or twice - they pull the same thing every time but nothing changes. Apologies only go so farā€¦ they didnā€™t even send out chocolates nor Starling-branded socks like they usually do as apologies when their CS falls short.

2 Likes

Havenā€™t they previously said that Starling engineers have been onsite at GPS to help them build a better platform? I would guess they have a good deal / relationship behind all of this and they donā€™t have to tarnish the GPS brand (any more than it already is)! :man_shrugging:

edit; found the quote:

As I write, some of our amazing Starling engineers are working directly at the premises of our supplier, GPS, to ensure that Starling customers continue to enjoy all the benefits we offer.

https://community.starlingbank.com/t/update-on-todays-card-issues/2128

to ensure that Starling customers continue to enjoy all the benefits we offer.

Guaranteed monthly outages, or your money back. :joy:

5 Likes

ā€¦ and free socks to those who bothered to complain :joy::joy::joy: .

2 Likes

I feel like the socks thing is gonna become the new TCB* when bashing Starling. :joy:

Although in this case of persistent outages I feel the bashing is totally appropriate.

*Tiny challenger bank

1 Like

Starling shared some designs for their new payments screen. Iā€™ve not used Starling myself so I canā€™t comment on their current design, but just having the ability to beautify the contacts and see an overview of your accounts (to easily move money around) looks great.

https://community.starlingbank.com/t/sneak-peek-the-new-payments-screen/6730

Looking forward to seeing Monzoā€™s plan (and designs) for improving on payee management! :eyes:

4 Likes

Starling do contacts better than Monzo right now and the new payments design looks even better. Iā€™d love Monzo to spend some love on this

4 Likes

Agreed - Itā€™s the one thing Iā€™ve said all along (especially for someone like me who uses the bank to move money and make bank transfers, and less for spending day to day).

Iā€™m excited to see Monzo tick ā€œPayee Managementā€ off their list - I hope it looks good!

3 Likes

Are there any previews yet?

Nothing has been rolled out, but even the current way it looks is better (better layout, customisable images etc).

Ah ok, thanks. The most annoying thing for me is e.g. my partner has more than one account but currently they are listed sepately one SURNAME, INITIAL and the other ā€œfirst name surnameā€ and he also has a Monzo so Iā€™ve got him in 3 places. Iā€™d love all accounts, whether Monzo or others into one contact card where you can rename or add descriptions of the accounts so I know which one is which. Hopefully one day.

Have you seen how Starling do it?

I genuinely think they have a really good implementation for multiple accounts per payee!

7 Likes

Yes itā€™s very good. I hope Monzo do something similar

4 Likes