Starling Feedback

Hmm, not seeing the spending tab on the current iOS app.

Should be in version 0.22.0. Check the app store for updates.

I just updated mine this lunch time but it was available yesterday I think?

Strange because Iā€™m using an earlier version yet the app store is showing ā€˜openā€™ against the app. So I canā€™t update right now.

Recently signed up for Starling while waiting for the Monzo current account.

So far, the experience has been pretty positive but their app is IMO not as nice as Monzoā€™s. There are way more tabs than needed and the balance has an entire page dedicated to itself (you have to scroll down to see the actual transaction history).

1 Like

Category comparison

3 Likes

Just got my Starling card. It arrived in an ugly jiffy bag (I thought it was a chinese package from Aliexpress :joy: - Monzoā€™s packaging is definitely better) but other than that the card looks nice and itā€™s got my name and account number on it.

However two direct debits I was expecting from my ISP on Friday didnā€™t show up yet - I am not sure whoā€™s to blame, whether itā€™s an issue on my ISPā€™s side (changing bank details might have reset the direct debit logic and it would take more days to process on their side) of if itā€™s Starlingā€™s fault. I guess weā€™ll wait and see.

2 Likes

I wasnā€™t too worried about the jiffy bag, wasnā€™t so obvious it was a bank card.

Direct debits can be slow, well Iā€™ve noticed sky is dead slow at appearing :+1:

I tweeted them regarding a missing merchants logo and within 40seconds they replied and working on it! Iā€™m pretty impressed, delivery time could be faster but mine arrived next day from scheduled dispatch date!

Iā€™m guessing starling had the advantage over monzo by not supplying a pre-paid card. Is there actually a date monzo will launch full accounts? I thought it was early 2017?

Itā€™s summer 2017, you can get a sense of the timescales from the roadmap :slight_smile:

Judging by the fact that Monzoā€™s venture capital investors now have the current accounts & debit cards, my guess is they canā€™t be too far from ready :smiley:

2 Likes

About this, will Monzo be following a similar process?

I would still rather keep my ā€œlegacyā€ bank account for now, but still transfer over my direct debits and such. If it closed that account then I donā€™t think I could use it.

2 Likes

I agree 100% with this. We shouldnā€™t have to close our legacy accounts to transfer across direct debits etc. If we do then I donā€™t think iā€™ll use Monzo as my main current account

1 Like

I believe there are two options to the switch, a partial switch i.e. direct debits etc, and full switch which includes closing of old account.

4 Likes

The closing of an account after a full switch out is an industry standard and Monzo cannot override it. If you donā€™t want your account closed, ask for a partial switch, or transfer your direct debits yourself.

6 Likes

Yep, I performed a partial switch which meant I could choose some or all regular payments. This left my account and balance intact.

1 Like

Bear in mind if you choose a partial switch, it isnā€™t covered by the Current Account Switch Service Guarantee (itā€™s essentially just the bank youā€™re switching from providing a list of direct debits to your new bank) and youā€™ll have to arrange your salary being paid in to your new account. A partial switch can take longer than seven days.

I keep itching to fully switch to Starling as Iā€™ve still got my account open, even though I said I would eventually close it :see_no_evil:

I need to remind myself how close Monzo is to launch though, and then do a comparison for my full switch :grimacing:

Looks like Starling still has some bugs in their app like not remembering that I disabled Touch ID (by default they lock the app behind your fingerprint but thereā€™s an option to disable that in the settings - if only it worked) and overall itā€™s not as fast as Monzoā€™s.

Remember they are still in BETA :+1: Iā€™ve been impressed by the support thatā€™s for sure.

Whatā€™s faster? The app? Canā€™t say I notice any difference on my android :tada:

Iā€™ve noticed that spending notifications arenā€™t as instant as Monzo, and updating transactions and balance is definitely slower, often requiring a manual refresh.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve found the support to be both friendly and responsive. Notifications for me (iOS) is instant. Right now Iā€™m thinking Monzo will need to be something very special to get me to switch.

2 Likes