Starling Feedback

I suppose we don’t know how many Starling users actually used the feature. Since they never had pre paid and had FPS from the start. It may have been used very little.

1 Like

Anne said it was an incredibly underused “feature”.

There’s a possibility they thought no one would even notice (not completely sold on this thought though :joy:)

2 Likes

I think they may have added it seeing how quickly people were picking up Monzo. But since it wasn’t utilised much and Monzo are planning to make changes due to high fees why keep it :man_shrugging:t3: I guess.

This sounds plausible. Sill surprised on the speedy turnaround!

I’m not sure on the Monzo comparison.

I don’t know when they introduced debit card too ups (can anyone help?), but I would have thought that they would have wanted to have a feature that Monzo doesn’t have (or is looking to remove).

Especially if not many people use it, and therefore don’t cost them much in the grand scheme of things.

It’s all guesses though, and the reality is, I have no idea!

Users that use card top ups cost Monzo twice as much at the moment.

1 Like

Ok? But Anne has said hardly anyone uses it at Starling, so it won’t cost them much money.

No she only said that the majority of users don’t use it at Starling.

https://community.starlingbank.com/t/adding-money-via-debit-card/7624/49?u=alexs

1 Like

Are you really arguing over the wording?

Ok, the “majority” of users don’t use it at Starling, so it’s not likely to cost them much.

Just… why did that need to happen?

Monzo has 150,000 people who still use it - A very big difference.

1 Like

Hopefully Starling is going to carry on growing too..

2 Likes

150,000 users isn’t the majority of Monzo’s userbase. It could be worded the same here by Tom if he wanted.

Even though not the majority they cost Monzo a lot! :credit_card:
So who knows it could cost starling a lot :man_shrugging:t3: It’s all relative.

5 Likes

I was just blown away by it all this evening, truly sensational.

1 Like

If you read their forum, I don’t think you’d say that.

It’s obviously impossible to know how many users are using it, and how much it’s costing them.

I think it’s great they are getting rid of it.

1 Like

Exactly… so it could be costing them a lot. My guess is it’s a cost they want rid of but it’s really not worth discussing any more since we don’t know.

I have read their forum BTW.

3 Likes

The feedback regarding the removal has turned to a comparison of monzo doing the same. Interesting to see how they compare it…
https://community.starlingbank.com/t/adding-money-via-debit-card/7624/184

Not sure how it was exaggerated when it was shown in the accounts

3 Likes

I’m going to be in the minority here (given this topic) - But I really don’t think it’s healthy to discuss what the people are saying on the Starling forum.

If you want to discuss it, why not head on over and do so?

But pulling snippets out every now and then just ends up with a misinformed view.

Unless of course this topic changes to “Starling Community Feedback” - In which case it’s perfect :joy:

9 Likes

I see your point and I agree more context should be provided.

I made a presumption others would read the posts surrounding it to get an understanding.

Either way both forums are just as guilty :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

It’s really hard to get a feel of user reaction unless you read the forum a lot (and learn peoples personalities etc).

It’s 10 times harder here, because of the amount of members we have, and the sheer number of threads/posts.

To be fair, the monzo forum is mentioned over there, but it’s not a case of “look at this thread” - It’s more general. It’s also not mentioned very much at all.

Like I said though - If people enjoy discussing fintech stuff, it’s worth signing up to their forum and chipping in with your opinion (based on your experience with Monzo).

It would be well received, and you might be able to share ideas.

2 Likes

While I agree that card top-ups had to go, it is easy to decide to take away a feature which costs Starling money.

By comparison, it has taken quite long to give users an option to have replacement cards delivered abroad and ended with a massive fee for that service.

The decision about card top ups was made some time ago, in my opinion. It wasn’t presented as an option to add money in new FAQ released 2 days ago which means it wasn’t consulted with their community who only realised what was happening a couple of hours ago.

I fully agree with the decision but today’s opinion request from Anne Boden and consecutive opinion poll were an exercise as far from transparency and democratic vote as it gets. Starling should’ve just issued an announcement about terminating this feature and it would’ve looked much better. They had a full right to do it as nobody on that forum invested their own money in the business.

After this week, their announcement about becoming profitable can be expected to arrive good several months earlier.

To Monzo now. Do what is right to run profitable business which will benefit all users in the long term. In the end, do you want to be the only current account in the UK the which can be topped up by card at no cost? Charge for it or get rid of it.

4 Likes