Starling Feedback

I’ve seen this over the course of the day and can only wonder how you can run a business like that. On a serious note, was Starling ever a prepaid card or has it always been a current account? If it’s always been a current account, why did they even need card topups?

1 Like

I’m not quite sure how to phrase this, but I don’t think I agree. I like public discussion and debate, but ultimately I fear voting or seeking (edit: total) community consensus might be counter-productive.

I think @mikef put it best in another thread (albeit in a different context):

https://community.monzo.com/t/app-has-stolen-monzos-logo/27822/42?u=peter_g

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, we ended up with an overseas withdrawal option I didn’t vote for in the end! But involving the wider community, if only for getting an idea of the kind of people who use the top up and why, just seems like a sound idea to me. I’m not suggesting Monzo should decide big changes on consensus alone, but asking people to engage can’t be a bad idea?

5 Likes

It’s so weird reading that thread where a CEO of a bank decided something within an hour based on their hard-core fans opinions. I don’t mean any disrespect but most users commenting are like proper commited to Starling good or bad and were seemingly able convince CEO to make a decision on Sunday night.

Not sure if this was just a front to show their community that they are consulting with them and decision was already made last week. But if this is how their CEO decides things on a whim and without consulting her team it’s weird to say the least.

7 Likes

Oh yes - I thought that was covered by what I said. Sorry if it didn’t come across that way.

No problem, I think we’re both on the same wavelength here! :smiley:

Wow swift turnaround… will be interesting to see how it pans out

My guess would be that Starling had internally discussed removing it altogether, and this was a great excuse to get something done, whilst simultaneously letting the hardcore fans feel they were being involved.

The decision would have probably come eventually, but certainly not as quickly as it has.

As for why it was there @HoddzDJ, I honestly have no idea.

It was never a pre paid card, and I didn’t even know it existed!

5 Likes

I suppose we don’t know how many Starling users actually used the feature. Since they never had pre paid and had FPS from the start. It may have been used very little.

1 Like

Anne said it was an incredibly underused “feature”.

There’s a possibility they thought no one would even notice (not completely sold on this thought though :joy:)

2 Likes

I think they may have added it seeing how quickly people were picking up Monzo. But since it wasn’t utilised much and Monzo are planning to make changes due to high fees why keep it :man_shrugging:t3: I guess.

This sounds plausible. Sill surprised on the speedy turnaround!

I’m not sure on the Monzo comparison.

I don’t know when they introduced debit card too ups (can anyone help?), but I would have thought that they would have wanted to have a feature that Monzo doesn’t have (or is looking to remove).

Especially if not many people use it, and therefore don’t cost them much in the grand scheme of things.

It’s all guesses though, and the reality is, I have no idea!

Users that use card top ups cost Monzo twice as much at the moment.

1 Like

Ok? But Anne has said hardly anyone uses it at Starling, so it won’t cost them much money.

No she only said that the majority of users don’t use it at Starling.

https://community.starlingbank.com/t/adding-money-via-debit-card/7624/49?u=alexs

1 Like

Are you really arguing over the wording?

Ok, the “majority” of users don’t use it at Starling, so it’s not likely to cost them much.

Just… why did that need to happen?

Monzo has 150,000 people who still use it - A very big difference.

1 Like

Hopefully Starling is going to carry on growing too..

2 Likes

150,000 users isn’t the majority of Monzo’s userbase. It could be worded the same here by Tom if he wanted.

Even though not the majority they cost Monzo a lot! :credit_card:
So who knows it could cost starling a lot :man_shrugging:t3: It’s all relative.

5 Likes

I was just blown away by it all this evening, truly sensational.

1 Like