Spotify not accepting Monzo card despite receiving active card check

When I tried to change my Spotify payment method to my Monzo card, I received the active card check notification but got an error “Oops! Something went wrong, please try again.” on the Spotify web app.

Does anyone else have this problem?

(Marcus Nailor) #2

I’ve just searched through the Bug Report threads and I couldn’t find reference to Spotify, not sure if Spotify have any restrictions on Pre-Paid cards?

I know that Google Play Music works fine with Monzo, I can’t say I’ve ever tried it with Spotify - sorry :slight_smile:

(Marcus Nailor) #3

A quick update here:

https://support.spotify.com/uk/article/Payment-Methods/

Spotify do list Prepaid cards as compatible, might be worth trying again shortly, else ping an email over to the Spotify support team :slight_smile:

(Alex Sherwood) #4

I can’t find any mention of issues with Spotify either. I expect they’re the ones declining Monzo as a payment method, rather than Monzo stopping the payment though so your best bet is probably to contact them.

It might be worth dropping the support team a message via the in-app chat to ask them to give the transaction a once over & see whether they’ve come across this before though too.

Please do let us know how you manage to solve this - hopefully you do!

I contacted Spotify but had no luck in the troubleshooting. I’ll see if it works when I’m back in the U.K but I don’t think that would make a difference. But thanks for the help @nexusmaniac @alexs!

(Jake Oliver) #6

I can confirm Spotify works on Monzo as I have been doing it for the last 6 months so I definitely think it’s a Spotify issue here.

Ok, thanks for the confirmation. I will contact Spotify again. It might be because I’m on the Norwegian Spotify web-site instead of the U.K one. But I’ve tried many times so I don’t get the active card check cause I think Monzo has blocked it so will get that sorted first. But good to know that it’s possible!

Issue solved! Turns out Monzo didn’t block anything.I solved the issue by cancelling my subscription, waiting for it to end and then re-subscribing using Monzo instead of updating my payment method to Monzo that I was trying previously.