So Why does the Post Office refuse the Monzo Card

If they are crown post offices they all use the same system, if they are not, then the system they use will potentially be an older one. They all accept Monzo cards though, because the Post Office card payment system is nationwide it is only the terminal that are different, if they are refusing it, do what I do, just say I’ll pay by card, get the card out at last minute when the terminal says insert or touch your card. Happened with an old card of mine not Monzo btw.

My Post Office (inside a Costcutter shop) doesn’t accept my card either and they have no plans to either :unamused:

Is it that the staff refuse it ? If so remind them it’s against MasterCard’s rules and you can report them for it. If it’s the machine that declines it then that’s another issue.

4 Likes

Had this issue in a Nottinghamshire post office. They have an issue with Mastercard (not just Monzo) but only for non-core PO services. So, I can use Monzo to pay for a parcel to be delivered, but I can’t use it to buy an envelope :laughing:

4 Likes

My understanding is that Postmasters used to receive a salary, but now as old fashioned POs close and they move into shops etc. They work on more normal commission basis. So if they sell you a stamp they get 4p (or whatever), if they do a link withdrawal 25p etc. If you pay by card and they can process it as a link withdrawal they get two commissions, one from the bank and the one for the service you’re paying for. If they let you pay by card in the traditional manner they only get one… I see PO transactions appearing both ways on my Nationwide account.

3 Likes

I’ve just had my Monzo card refused by a sub-post office till, although there was plenty of credit on it. Is it known that Post Office systems don’t recognise MONZO?

2 Likes

Hi @afbainbridge, there’s been some discussion on this before so I’ve moved your question to this thread. Hope that’s okay!

Take a look at the conversation above, but I think that Monzo cards should be accepted for purchases like any other Mastercard - but if you try to withdraw cash over the counter that won’t work as each individual bank needs an agreement with the Post Office (and Monzo would have to pay them some money, too!)

2 Likes

Thanks for showing me the earlier thread. In the event I used another card. No doubt in time this little anomaly will be resolved. But I’m wanting to use Monzo for pretty much every transaction, and am therefore frustrated when it doesn’t run smoothly.

2 Likes

I would be too. This sort of thing shouldn’t happen :frowning:

If you have a few minutes, you could drop Monzo an email to acceptance@monzo.com with the details (location, what you were trying to buy etc) and they’ll work in the background to sort it out with the retailer.

2 Likes

Thanks - good suggestion - I have immediately done so.

AFB

1 Like

I had this issue yesterday and it really confused me!

I was at the Blackfriars Road Post Office and was paying for an envelope and special delivery.

The teller saw my card and told me they didn’t accept Monzo. I asked why, as it’s a mastercard and presumably fine, and he said he didn’t know but that I’d had to use another card. Fortunately I had cash on me as I’d been queuing for a good 30 mins.

It was very strange. Obviously not Monzo’s fault, maybe a hangover from the pre-paid card days but an eduction piece may be required if retailers are turning away legitimate payment methods as no-one benefits from that.

Anyone I’ll drop acceptance@monzo.com a line.

4 Likes

The teller was wrong. It’s only cash services (eg. Withdrawals, deposits) they don’t accept Monzo for, because Monzo don’t pay them to do this like some other banks.

Paying for things is just a normal transaction and they can’t pick and choose which MasterCards to accept.

I’d just keep my card out of sight and slam it on the reader and say “told you it works!” :blush::+1:

4 Likes

The last time I was at the post office they refused to accept my Monzo card, despite having accepted it in the past. On previous visits it would first decline, they would change how they were processing the transaction and it would then go through fine. On my most recent visit however, even when advising the teller of this, she stated they only have one method of processing payments and refused to take my card :pensive:

So Acceptance@monzo.com have already come back and said they’ll contact the post office.

Great response Monzo, thanks!

2 Likes

Ahhh I did wonder. The shop near me which has a post office counter uses the card machine as a cash withdrawal then takes the money from the post office till and puts it in the shop till. They never accept my Monzo card so now I know why.

That’s interesting. On that MasterCard complaint form there is this option:

In order to make a Debit Mastercard or Mastercard prepaid purchase, the merchant/retailer required a minimum or maximum amount.

Does that mean retailers can’t say “minimum £5 on card” anymore?

2 Likes

They’ve not technically been allowed to do this for a while now but a lot try to get away with it

2 Likes

Wow! The amount of bars and coffee shops I can think of off the top of my head…

2 Likes

This is news to me. I thought places were allowed to require a minimum spend for card use, especially after making charges for card use illegal.

EDIT: Yep, it’s perfectly fine.

Some small shops or pubs have a £5 or £10 minimum spend before they will accept a card. This will not be illegal under the new directive, so expect it to continue

Maybe Mastercard include it as an option because they get so many people complaining about it.

1 Like

It’s not illegal, it’s just against Mastercard rules that retailers agree to.

2 Likes