So long and thanks for all the fish

I’ve not seen or heard of this, only that were considering how to implement a points/punishment system of sorts.

Edit: Found the post:

If there are too many for the current team or person to handle, perhaps CC can be given the responsibility to help with it all?

How many people review flags currently, is it just Simon?

1 Like

That’s my policy. Leave it a couple of hours, change the punctuation, or add an emoji, and assume that whoever flagged it thinks it has been checked and reinstated (and, in all likelihood, they’ve moved on, and so don’t even realise they’re efforts have been futile). :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I like the flagging system as it is, if it empowers people and helps them to release their inner PCSO then that’s all good.

3 Likes

:triangular_flag_on_post:

Discourse recently changed how flagging works on the forum. Now, there’s a setting called hide post sensitivity that determines how likely it is that a flagged post will be be hidden. I’ve turned this down a bit, so flagged posts aren’t automatically hidden right away.

And we’re always keeping an eye on who’s flagging what. In the flag review screen we can see a score next to each user that gives a percentage of how often we agree with their flags. This way, we can keep an eye on anyone abusing the system.

17 Likes

Interestingly (for me, others may not find it interesting at all) I had a post flagged today - on a thread where I considered someone was being particularly obdurate; I was hoping to encourage a lightening of the tone. A reply to a subsequent comment was later edited to say that my comments were rude and demeaning.

I accept that written comments are always more prone to being misinterpreted than spoken ones (where you have tone of voice to go on) and especially spoken comments in person (tone of voice, facial expression, demeanour).

I note the comment above about the flagging sensitivity being adjusted.

Having looked at many flagged comments, I do however consider that some users of this forum might benefit from taking stock of, and possibly adjusting, their own sensitivity levels. Some of the flagging is, frankly, ridiculous. There appear to be people here who are far too quick to take offence, and there are also people who comment aggressively, behave boorishly, and then get offended when challenged.

@gmclean was a valued (by me and others) contributor to the forum and they’ve had enough and left. I’m nowhere close to that at the moment.

I’ve had two comments flagged (that I’m aware of), and I think I started the first one with “At the risk of being flagged…” Had I reread the community guidelines before posting it, I wouldn’t have posted that message.

I’m not bothering to edit today’s post, or to flag the reply about my rudeness. I’m quite comfortable with what I wrote and the spirit in which I wrote it. In my opinion the later reply says more about the author than about me, so I’ll leave it there. I did make a later comment about the loss of civility on the thread, and not just because of the reply to my own comment.

But it would be a pity if more contributors of the quality of gmclean get so fed up with the behaviour of a minority that they all disappear.

Well done if you’ve read this far into my Thursday evening musings, and particularly if you’ve done so without flagging this*.

*Humour

Edited to remove a stray apostrophe

11 Likes

Thanks all for these replies.

I took a hiatus but have come back because I did enjoy being in this community, and also purchased a new “Extra Thick skin” from Amazon which arrived the other day, it’s a bit unwieldly but so far no sticks and stones have had any effect…

10 Likes

Welcome home! :+1:

2 Likes

You’ve been missed.

And is that a new haircut :eyes: I can’t remember

2 Likes

Did you check your messages before you left? :eyes: