So just what do you do when someone insists on a cheque

Had to purchase some kit today from my sports club,
The kit secretary insists on me paying by cheque as paying by bank transfer is just too much of a disconnected process for her to administer the kit.

The last time I wrote a cheque (looking at the stubs) was 2015.

Im wondering is there such a thing/process where one could “produce” an adhoc cheque on a website or something and it be emailable. (I’ve not thought this through very much).

Thoughts and feedback welcome

Justin

There are banks out there that allow the paying in of cheques to be done via a mobile phone whereby you take a photo of the cheque and send it in online. I think this may come into that bracket.

I have no idea how Monzo plan to get on with cheques but I’m sure we will find out :soon:

2 Likes

Here’s the plan -

2 Likes

I think the OP is more concerned with the ability to write checks than to deposit them. At least in this case.

5 Likes

Yep id suggest cashing cheques is a relatively easy process for Monzo to deal with.

Im more concerned with the process of ME having to issue a cheque to another person or institution.

As I said before this doesn’t happen often but situations do arise where a solution is needed.

On the very rare occasion I’ve had to produce a cheque (was at least 2-3 years ago) I got my mum to write one out for me and I transferred the funds to her bank account from mine. If I had my own cheque book I’d probably forget where I’d put it before ever needing to use it.

I believe you’re able to write a cheque on anything aren’t you? Whether Monzo will honour a cheque written on a napkin is a different matter.

I believe @paul mentioned side of a horse being valid.

4 Likes

From my experience the majority of people/businesses that push for a cheque will most definitely take alternatives when told you simply do not have a cheque book. Otherwise they’d be turning business away. I haven’t had a cheque book in 10 years. Ps I don’t live with my mum and my outgoings go further than a PlayStation account (however I can see many benefits of such a life).

2 Likes

Ask if they prefer a Postal Order (http://www.postoffice.co.uk/postal-orders) or want to join Monzo :smile:

Jokes aside, if they only take cheque then I’d assume they’d (with maybe an annoyed look) take cash.
Maybe it’s time to introduce them to online banking?

1 Like

I once had an idiot tell me if I did not want to pay by cheque they would accept stamps! Mental

1 Like

That’s actually not so bad, if they could sell them again :open_mouth:

From https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/mar/27/60p-price-stamp-royal-mail

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.