Sneak Peek : Pick a card, any card! (Monzo Plus)

These do look great.

Any news of the roll out yet? Stop teasing!

1 Like

Midnight Blue looks lovely

4 Likes

Thanks @Rika

I guess it makes sense otherwise you could end up with a ‘military badge style’ list of titles on the card :rofl: and it would ruin the clean design.

I think it’s a shame it doesn’t especially if you’re paying for the card in the first place.

It probably makes the manufacturing of them quite difficult, you’d have to have 2 types of each plus card (one investor, one not) and have to go into analysis of how much stock to hold for each - probably just doesn’t add up financially. :man_shrugging:t2::man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Great idea for a night out at a Greek restaurant. :wink:

7 Likes

If I was to pay for Monzo plus would my old card be cancelled? And then if I stopped would this result in my plus card being cancelled and then a new coral card being shipped?
Seems like a lot of waste if people switch back and forth whilst deciding if they benefit from the additional services.

It’s the same with a lot of banks although I’d maybe expect monzo to work slightly differently.

I got a different card when I switched from a flex direct to a flex plus account with nationwide and when/if I switch back I will get another new card

From what I’ve seen from the trials there seems to be a contracted plus period.

That means this card swap fees will probably be taken into account.

I’d say what wouldn’t be taken into place would be the economic impact unfortunately :-1:

Personally, I’d be happy with the card to remain the same (making the colour choice available for all) and then the plus feature could be toggled on and off when needed. This way if people wanted to save spending additional money by not paying for Monzo plus, they also won’t have to get a new card and update payment details on shopping sites.

1 Like

This has to be done!
I’ll likely go for the plus account so if I am going to get a new card might was well get the investor addition as well.

Not a fan of wasting my current card to have investor on it until I actually need a new card

1 Like

I like the Midnight Sky for sure and love the subtle plus!

2 Likes

Sort of defeats the point of introducing Plus accounts to earn more revenue, when users might only pay for one month (to get the cool card), then cancel (but on the expectation that they get to keep the card) - which seems to be what you’re advocating?

Lots of users doing that will end up costing Monzo as opposed to benefiting them, so would be surprised if they let this happen. Also, imagine insurances (which likely to be involved somehow too) will have minimum terms.

Even though it would cost Monzo money, I’d like to see them enforcing a replacement, normal card for those that cancel their Plus membership (and automatically deactivating the Plus card) - after all, this is an ‘exclusive’ service for a fee, to not do this would dilute the appeal and exclusivity that it’s been set up for.

7 Likes

What about a metal card? Or a titanium one? :roll_eyes:
People would pay £10 just for that.

1 Like

I agree, but what would you say the ‘buy out’ should be? If for instance if I cannot afford for Monzo plus on a particular month so want to cancel but I know the following month I would want to go back. Would I be forced into continuing to pay and be overdrawn for a month or would there be an alternative ‘pause benefits’ or some other option in place. I can’t imagine Monzo being pleased with that kind of situation as they seem to be proactively aiding and preventing its customers being in debt.

With this said, it’s the customers choice so they should ensure it fits their budget and any resulting debt is their own fault. I just think there should be a simple way out that doesn’t throw up a headache of changing payment details or ending of insurance etc.

Monzo-titanium

Would be all over a titanium card…

22 Likes

It just feels a bit like you’re trying to engineer a situation whereby it’s ‘reasonable’ you’d keep a card if you weren’t paying a subscription for the service?

If I don’t pay my Netflix subscription, they stop me watching Netflix. This is no different. I do concede though that it is possible to stop/start Netflix as there is no physical component (like the Plus card for Monzo) – there may or may not be an option to pause a subscription, but obviously that becomes really tricky when you’re involving insurances – so I’d hazard a guess that this wouldn’t be an option.

To answer your question though, I’d like any buy out fees to cover Monzo’s cancellation/admin costs to third parties (e.g. insurance) and card replacement costs.

If users want to subsequently sign up again for the Plus card, they should have to pay the same fees that they originally did (even though it would represent duplication of cost). This would deter users signing up purely for the card then cancelling.

1 Like

I wouldn’t care too much about the card, it’s just a piece of plastic to me. I mainly use Apple Pay anyway - my physical card stays in my car for if I need it at a petrol station that doesn’t support Apple Pay

3 Likes

Definitely this has been needed for ages

1 Like

Monzo Plus is so yesterday. I’m waiting for Monzo Plus Plus. It’s object-oriented, you know. :crazy_face:

13 Likes