SharkClean.co.uk don't accept monzo

I’m not cool enough for Shark, I still have a Dyson!

1 Like

Got this back from them as well on FB messenger

Bizarre, as that would seem to indicate that the cancellations were deliberate as opposed to the system falling over.

Would love to hear what the team are able to find out about this! And hopefully get the issue resolved.

3 Likes

Did you reply and ask them why?

1 Like

Yes, to be frank a merchant not accepting any of my cards would annoy me enough to reconsider doing business with them again.

I already get annoyed at places that don’t accept American Express when I want to pay with a credit card - not accepting any card of either Mastercard or Visa would be totally unacceptable to me.

I’d make a complaint to their customer service and demand a full explanation for why they won’t accept it.

Yep no reply yet

Already did. Don’t worry I’m a pedantic c*nt when something irritates me :slight_smile:

It’s just annoying that I needed a spare part and the only place to purchase from is the manufacturer!

5 Likes

They could do that, but more likely they would just send the merchant a reminder of the conditions. They would lose too much business from other cards to actually throw any merchants out of MasterCard agreements altogether.

2 Likes

Haha I get like that too. I become a real Karen and have it escalated all the way up through the chain :sweat_smile:

Good luck :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

I get that completely - in a way, it makes it all the more annoying!

Any update on this?

1 Like

In summary they’ve decided to make their own rules and then argue it at a later date. Better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission and all that :roll_eyes:

Surely if there is supposed high fraud rate from Monzo cards then the liability is with their payment processor so they wouldn’t be effected anyway?

5 Likes

That’s my understanding especially as they use 3d secure.

Also I’m not aware of any FCA rules or guidance telling them to do look for fraud trends at card issuer level and to cancel orders off the back of it…

Ill leave it with monzo/MasterCard to pick up as they have ignored my 2 requests for a manager to call me about my poor experience. Even at a basic level they cancelled my order twice and couldn’t tell me why until I escalated it.

5 Likes

I think they are treading a fine line here. They are actively cancelling/voiding Monzo transactions, as opposed to saying they do not accept Monzo before payment is made. They may do the same for other card issuers too - we don’t know. I don’t think they are actually breaking any Mastercard rules by doing that - for all we know they are also letting some Monzo users make transactions for lower value purchases. Whatever is actually going on, they need better wording for their support messages, they are digging themselves a hole.

3 Likes

I thought the whole point of 3DS is that if that is used and it’s fraud, the retailer won’t lose out?

2 Likes

I asked them why, they said it’s because 90% of orders that are fraud are from Monzo which I find hard to believe feel like they just made an excuse

Hopefully @Dan5 will pop his head back in and see these updates, and know which team in Monzo to alert about this.

I’m not saying Shark are stretching the truth, but it seems a bit of an odd claim to make. As others have said, they shouldn’t be left out of pocket from any fraud if the transactions are processed properly, and common sense surely suggests working with Monzo to identify and improve any problem areas rather than just cutting them off (how are Monzo to learn from that?).

1 Like

Only thing I will say is, is I did see someone’s bank statements at work once who literally used a Monzo account exclusively to buy things, get a refund and pay it out to a business account. How the account hadn’t been stopped in some format is beyond me! Could be a one off case, though.

Looks like a use case for Curve, at last.

2 Likes