"Sent From Monzo"

Just reminds me of the default signature from the iPhone and Outlook email apps (“sent from iPhone”, “sent from Outlook”) but personally doesn’t bother me.

Sent from Chrome browser

11 Likes

The name will be on the recipients statement anyway though, wouldn’t this just be duplicating that? :wink:

It’s no big deal :smiley: When you tap into the field the “sent from Monzo” disappears instantly :tada:

I thought it was going to be a faff, deleting, etc. But thankfully it’s super simple to get rid of it :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Yes, what I was trying to say is that previously you would have thought the reference was going to be blank (as it didn’t have anything in the Monzo app), but the recipient would get your name (as a duplicate) in the reference field. Not a big deal, no data leak, but I’d prefer the reference field to show exactly what is going to be sent through.

2 Likes

Personally I think this is much better than the reference being a cut-off version of my name, since the recipient already has my name on their bank statement.

However, I think the bank transfer reference should only be set as “Sent from Monzo” once the payment is sent with no reference. The reference section should definitely NOT be initially auto-filled with “Sent from Monzo”.

2 Likes

I disagree with that last bit. I don’t see anything wrong with Monzo filling in a blank reference with something that references the originating bank - but it should continue to do this overtly, where the user is able to see that this will happen and therefore has the choice to replace it. By showing a blank field and setting the reference later, it’s more spammy and less user friendly.

4 Likes

Having seen how easy it is to get rid of it I really don’t see it as an issue - if anything it’s more likely to prompt me to remember to check the validity of the reference rather than just using the last one.

Just my opinion of course but I’d rather something was in that field to prompt me to click on it and put something relevant in - it seems to do the job.

5 Likes

Reminds of something I read about Hotmail’s Growth Hack in the 90’s where they put ‘PS: I love you. Get your free e-mail at Hotmail’ at the bottom of every email, if I remember correctly it caused their customer base to explode, as well as their servers.

However I don’t read the reference’s unless I have a compelling reason to, and advertising in the references would not sway me personally.

1 Like

Monzo - this is not cool. You can’t fill in the same reference as before on my credit card payments, but you can add marketing spam on payments. I’d really like it if you could focus on sorting out the whole payments area of your app, it’s my one regret of moving from my legacy bank.

5 Likes

Not sure what platform you are on, but when you press onto the reference box, previously used ones come up in a drop down box (at least on iOS).

6 Likes

Its the same for android.

5 Likes

Yes understood, but I’d rather it was just left to default to the last one rather than need changing it.

2 Likes

Now on version 2.32.0 on Android. It has “Sent from Monzo” as the default reference even for recipients that I’ve paid before, for which I have a reference that I like to use :angry:

I wouldn’t like this for new payments, but to do it for existing payments that have been set up, this is a big step backwards. Glad to see that Starling still default to the last used reference.

2 Likes

I’ve now started getting this on iOS. What’s even worse is that it now defaults to this all the time. I thought Monzo were using the last used reference previously?

No, previously the default was to show a blank reference field, but send your name as a reference if you left it blank. This is at lease more accurate, instead of implying a blank reference will be sent. It also disappears as soon as you tap in the reference field.

iOS screen currently blank…

And uses my name when it arrives…

Please please revert this, or at least make it an opt in/out.

It makes me cringe so bad

4 Likes

Ah feck, mine’s defaulting to that now too.

2 Likes

If anything this feature has helped me.

I now never forget to change my payment reference.

7 Likes

I agree it’s a little cringe but since it only needs one tap to remove and I’d tap it to set what I want anyway it’s not a massive issue for me.

It would be so annoying if you had to delete each character with a backspace!

5 Likes