"Sent From Monzo"

Personally just think it comes across gimicky.

Fair enough they want to grow in numbers but this NEEDS an opt out as ill never want this to be my default

3 Likes

Odd, I just checked again and it’s still blank for me (as per screenshots "Sent From Monzo")

I wonder if it’s something to do with me being a newer user? Only signed up in January…

1 Like

You can remove the “Sent from Monzo” text by signing up to Monzo Plus… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ll get my coat.

10 Likes

The behaviour is fine IMO :smiley:

“Sent from Monzo” appears, this way I know (regardless of any reference that I might want) that it at least came from my Monzo account :slight_smile:

If I click the reference field it clears automatically and suggests my previous references - just a tap away :smiley:

If I had to delete every character or if it was hardcoded, I’d see cause for an uproar :wink: but neither are the case, it’s just something that Monzo wanted to include - whether that’s for altruistic reasons (i.e. giving users an automatic reference so they know which account the money came from) or whether it’s for cheeky advertising reasons, I don’t know :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d err on the side of Monzo giving us a sensible, default, reference for bank transfers :slight_smile: It’s a box I’d tap into anyway so there’s no harm in it being pre-populated with something that vanishes so easily :innocent:

9 Likes

100% agree that “Sent from Monzo” is more useful than just your name, which the receiver can see anyway on their statement.

I do think it would be useful to have an option in the payee contact to set the initial reference as something else though - it would be really useful for Credit Cards etc…

7 Likes

This :100: – couldn’t have expressed it any better! :ok_hand:

1 Like

With an option to choose your font colour! :joy:

3 Likes

or, it could just use the last reference used or the initial reference like every other bank on the planet.

I’m sure Barclaycard care more that the payment was “Sent from Monzo” than something useful like my Account Number…(!)

3 Likes

Personally I’m not a fan of this since most of the payments I send need similar, but different references (eg: Rent1, Rent2 etc…) so having the previously used reference or the initial reference has led to me sending the payment without checking the whole reference is correct. If the reference is always initially the same thing for a transfer to any bank account, seeing that reference in the reference field reminds me that I might need to change it, while also allowing me to send payments where the reference isn’t important quicker than if you had to input a manually reference every time (ie: reference field always initially empty).

Also, if you want the previous or initial reference you can just click the reference box and select is from the drop down menu.

If Monzo implemented the option in the payee contact to set the initial reference as something else you could set your Barclaycard payee contact with a reference of your account number and solve this problem.

Also, Barclaycard already have your account number from the Faster Payments service anyway.

1 Like

Which you could do before without having Monzo spamming themselves all over the place at every opportunity.

A blank reference achieved the same thing.

Barclaycard and every other Credit Card I have/have ever had, require their Account Number (i.e. your card number) as a reference. They don’t care what account it comes from either in the reference or the originating Sort Code and Account Number.

4 Likes

How about a blank reference box with a drop down with the previous half dozen references for that account?

2 Likes

This is what N26 do with bank transfers. I didn’t think Monzo would copy from them…

IMG_AFF3E6EF11FC-1

3 Likes

I disagree with the “Sent from Monzo” reference being spam. Yes it’s clearly a marketing attempt, but I don’t feel like it’s particularly intrusive or annoying to the recipient of the transfer.

While I do agree a blank reference would achieve the same, “Sent from Monzo” is more useful that sending a blank reference which defaults to your name (something the payment receiver already gets from the transfer).

It’s also the same number of clicks to select a previously used reference with the previous blank reference as it is with the “Sent from Monzo” reference.

Sorry, I misunderstood. This idea would still sort that though:

Overall I think it’s difficult to argue that the new “Sent from Monzo” reference is worse than the previous blank reference which defaulted to your name (personally I think it’s slightly better because it provides more useful information than you name and I prefer to send a filled reference box than an empty one and having “Sent from Monzo” is an OK general reference to use).

However, I do understand why some people would want to have the previous reference or the initial reference automatically there, but I don’t think they’d need that for transfers to every payee.

1 Like

Why is it though? Who is ever going to care that the payment was “Sent from Monzo”? The only thing it’s useful for is for Monzo to try and use it as a marketing ploy. I’d rather have my name appear twice.

7 Likes

It’s so cheesy.

• Sent using Discourse from a OnePlus 6T running Firefox for Android, powered by electricity from bulb
5 Likes

Don’t worry, Monzo will soon start spamming you to switch to Octopus!

1 Like

What if you don’t want other people knowing who you bank with? I wonder if this feature honours your preference if you’ve turned off “Payments with friends”?

Sort Code is a bit of a giveaway.

12 Likes

If you’re concerned about people finding out who you bank with - you better use cash.

Bank transfers already show the senders sort code. Having a privacy concern here is a bit of a reach, nice try though!

7 Likes

Ew, just saw this in-app. Hard no. This is bottom of the barrel marketing gumphf.

2 Likes