Send/request money from non-mondo users

I feel like this must have come up before but I did search without finding anything.

I’d love to be able to easily send or request money, even if the other person doesn’t use Mondo. Obviously once Mondo’s a bank, bank transfers will be possible, but I really hate bank transfers — I hate account numbers, I hate sort codes, and I HATE my little HSBC calculator.

The main reason I’m posting is because I just sent someone money through PayPal, which was super easy, but if he hadn’t had an account yet he would’ve needed to sign up. That’s really annoying, and I hope that’s not the way it goes with Mondo. Apparently with Revolut you can send someone money and they just enter their bank account details, that seems really easy. Similarly, paypal.me is very convenient for request money if the other party has PayPal, it’d be great to see Mondo do something equivalent that just allows them to use whatever they want.

You’ll be please to know that PayPal.me style links are already on the roadmap!

Sending money outside of :mondo: users in general appears to be one of those “when we’re a bank” features. While likely technically possible to achieve now, it would be a little messy when it comes to then receiving money and all that effort would have to be thrown away and rebuilt when bank account numbers and direct access to things like Faster Payments comes!