Selling shares in Monzo from crowdfunding round?

just had an email from Crowdcube - after my enquiry to them - about the actual process of transferring shares into new ownership and got this answer

"Hannah Row
Hannah Rowe (Crowdcube)
Jul 11, 12:46 BST

There are no costs involved with transferring shares. We do not currently have an FAQ on the matter, but essentially all that will happen is that the shares will be transferred to the person of your choice. We will handle this process ourselves, we just need to ensure we have your consent and the consent of the new owner. Our legal team will sort this out once your chosen person has created a Crowdcube account.
Kind regards

Hannah Rowe

Community Executive

t: 01392 241319 w: www.crowdcube.com
Crowdcube is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (No. 650205)"

• would anybody want to sell at this time given the rise in customer numbers and the possible potential to come ? - this isnā€™t a request to buy any by the way :slight_smile: edited - I also donā€™t want to sell it was as Dave said just for info

The price would presumably be set between buyer and seller as an amicable agreement - and presumably Crowdcube would hold the funds until both parties have signed - surprised there are no fees from crowd cube for this service :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™m definitely interested :slight_smile: Iā€™ll send you a DM.

1 Like

Iā€™d be interested in buying :monzo: shares

2 Likes

I would be interested as well.

I think Ianā€™s question was rhetorical chaps, why on earth would anyone want to sell?

8 Likes

I realised when I read it again, but it cant hurt to put the feelers out thereā€¦

If someone has say, Ā£1000 worth of shares, and they fancied giving the odd Ā£10 to loyal Monzo members, then I wouldnā€™t discourage them. :eyes: :wink:

3 Likes

The share T&Cs say (I believe) that any share transfers have to be approved by Monzo themselves.

4 Likes

Count me in as an interested party.

Given what @tom says here Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s a great idea:

4 Likes

Haha thanks for the quote from Tom. I saw that a few days ago. One of the likes on the original comment was me!

Sorry if you were offended by my comment, I was joking. Hence the :wink:

Donā€™t get me wrong, I was peeved when I didnā€™t get shares, but I would much rather they worried less about loyal users/early adopters/people who have spread the word directly to 30+ others, and got the current account up and running eeeeeeek exciting!

2 Likes

Nah, not offended at all, just adding my tuppenny worth. Like you Iā€™m a failed pledger :sob:

3 Likes

Sadly, weā€™re in abundance! A friend of mine pledged Ā£10 and doesnā€™t even have Monzo - heā€™s now an ā€œInvestorā€. :cry:

Edit: did we decide that it shouldnā€™t be allowed to buy shares in the secondary market, as the original post asked?

While without an IPO there is no possibility to trade your shares on the open market, is there any mechanism to allow (or prevent) personal sales of your shares, as if they were physical certificates? The current share certificates are electronic copies with our name assigned to them which would complicate things.

Youā€™ve picked the perfect time to answer this, as Ianā€™s just found out the answer for us in the first post in this thread :slight_smile: so Iā€™ve moved your post here.

Does that answer your question?

@alexs Yep, thatā€™s a pretty definitive ā€œyesā€ (though Caveat Emptor, with Crowdcubeā€™s involvement as a psuedo-escrow this should reduce the risk to both parties).

@BobT That admin fee has already been paid by Monzo when they initially issued the shares through Crowdcube. Once issued, any additional transfers should not incur an additional charge to Monzo. i.e. Monzo issuing 100 Ā£10 units of shares would lose them Ā£10 per share (with a Ā£20 per issue admin fee), but Monzo issuing one Ā£1000 unit of shares and then the owner splitting it into 100 Ā£10 units of shares themselves would only incur the initial Ā£20 fee.

However, the downside for anyone buying ā€˜second handā€™ shares is lack of direct recognition by Monzo as being a funder, instead just being a shareholder. If Monzo were to recognise them and offer similar benefits (e.g. early access to the Current Account) then that would start incurring extra costs to them.

i have it if selling :smiley: i have crowdfunding account to

Iā€™d be interested to know where youā€™re getting this information from?

3 Likes

@alexs I was thinking the same thing:

If this is true, @tom has a much cheaper way to get more investors on board. Iā€™d like to see the source.

there is no concept of funders or shareholders with the crowdfunding shares as the certificates are actually issued under a Nominee structure with Crowdcube holding the shares and you being recorded as having an interest in the share value purchased. The nominee records are amended with a secondary market sale rather than a change of actual shareholder. There is no change in shareholder records at Companies House or anywhere, purely Crowdcube providing your contact details to Monzo so they can provide mailshots and any agreed perks. The decision to sell shares on the secondary market is not made by Crowdcube but done only with the agreement of Monzo. If Monzo do not wish sale on the secondary market they could prevent Crowdcube doing so (just like Tandem have prevented the sale of their shares on Seedrs secondhand market)

2 Likes