Secret code for cash machine

Wouldn’t it be useful to have a possibility to block the card at the cash machine by entering a secret code or reverse pin or something if you were held at gunpoint by the cashmachine?

2 Likes

I think that if I was held at gunpoint I would hand over the cash :joy: I think if I turned around and said oh look my card is blocked, they would know I’ve done something in order to block it :scream:

5 Likes

People need to stop visiting ‘Gunpoint’ … Sounds like an incredibly dangerous place! :joy::joy:

16 Likes

Two pins would be better, one for real money account and one for fake account showing only £4.99

7 Likes

The topic title made me think
B2726D67-1DCC-47D5-A0C3-6ADFE6BFE111
For free money.

8 Likes

Or a zero balance would be even better.

I was thinking along the same lines as well…

1 Like

Nah coz that would be too obvious, a number that you can’t withdraw would be better.

1 Like

If it was just Monzo offering the feature it might not be so obvious, but yeah I agree with your point.

This is what is called a Duress Code, a covert distress signal used by an individual who is being coerced by one or more hostile persons. The US FTC was looking into the feasibility of this at ATMs a few years back.

2 Likes

Yeah which was taken (borrowed) from the point of plausible deniability from encrypted hard drives which is essentially is the same thing.

I recall hearing of one where when the pin was entered backwards that the transaction would still complete but the police would be summoned too.

Not sure if that went anywhere. Guessing probably not though.

There’s precious few left to respond.

3 Likes

I think that one was made up. The police are not resourced for that!

They are resourced to attend if suspect devices fitted to the ATM.

Yes, but not to turn up every time someone spells their PIN backwards, and they’re still standing there.

Agreed. Typing the PIN backwards in order to summon police is not a thing in this country, not to my knowledge anyway.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s true anywhere #fakenews

3 Likes

Not really. This doesn’t prevent robbery post use of the ATM, shoulder surfing and then robbery of the card or waiting until you’ve entered your PIN to overcome you and max out a withdrawal.
If someone points a gun at you just give them the money. Not sensible to try and frustrate them with tricks.
Security Cameras in ATMs mean most muggings occur away from the machine anyway after a withdrawal has been made.
An option to turn off ATM use in the App might be helpful but choosing a well lit machine in a busy public place and keeping your cash withdrawal to a minimum are probably the best way to avoid issues.

4 Likes