Screen protectors for phones - are they necessary?

As title says . Got a new phone and want to know whether a screen protector is needed ? I’ll obviously get a case but on my last few phones never used a protector and the screens are all immaculate

1 Like

It depends on how well you look after your phone. My Pixel 2XL has never has a screen protector on it, although it does have a case - I only ever put it into an empty pocket.

MrsW however, throws her phone into a handbag which also holds an unimaginable number of screen-scratching implements - so her phone has a case and a screen protector for this reason.

2 Likes

This answers your question.

4 Likes

Some years ago a friend of mine used to have a screen protector on her phone but she hated it as it made the phone look horrible. I told her that it was unlikely to get scratched without one even if she was putting it in her bag with keys and other objects that we tend to think might scratch a screen.

I can’t vouch for what anyone else might have in a bag that could do damage but she confirmed some months later the screen was fine. I’ve never had a scratched screen either but then I do mostly put my phone in an empty pocket.

I think screens are more resistant to scratching than some might want us to believe :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Google some and look at the reviews

1 Like

Not necessary at all. Neither are locks for your doors.

Whether you want one depends on your attitude to risk, and how careful you are

Very, by the looks of it.

2 Likes

Do they affect sensitivity of the touch screen or not, in your experiences ?

1 Like

Get one and try it, if you like it keep it, if you do not then remove it.

5 Likes

It’s fairly hard to scratch a screen… sand will do it (largely because glass is sand), car keys won’t.

I’ve never had one, all the phones I have, even quite old ones, are still fine.

2 Likes

I always grab a screen protector. I’m ultra careful with my devices but accidents do happen and you can never be to careful.

Hope you are enjoying the new phone!

2 Likes

I had a Belkin one that Apple install in-store, which smashed at the start of lockdown but protected the screen below. The phone screen now looks like it’s been subjected to a sandblaster, so I’m a big fan of the good ones and I’ll get one installed on the new phone shortly

1 Like

Funny you mention that. No one in my neighbourhood locks there does. It’s a very safe and trustful community. It’s a very nice feeling.

I would say this depends more on the hardware quality than anything else. A cheap phone will have a cheap screen and a cheap screen will be more prone to scratches. My brother moved from an iPhone 5s to the same model of phone you just bought. The screen is scratched up quite bad now, and very nearly shattered after a single drop. The phone no longer works so he’s back to using the iPhone.

If you want the protection of a screen protector, without the noticeable presence of one, I can recommend Whoosh! Diamond Defence

It is by no means cheap, but it’s the best product of its class in my humble opinion, as are the rest of their product ranges.

1 Like

I had a cheap huawei last year and that is immaculate, it depends how well you look after your phone and how prone to dropping it you are . The a21s has pretty much 5 star reviews everywhere on the internet so I’m sure it will be fine, just got a heavy duty padded protector which is reassurance. I’ve seen iPhones with huge cracks on the screen before so like I said it’s down to the end user

2 Likes

I presume this means “lock their doors”? You been drinking? Errors like that are not like you!

3 Likes

Yes doors! :joy:

Their* too :grimacing:

I’m not a terribly good multitasker!

Edit: and I missed locks! I certainly hope my refactoring isn’t this error prone!

2 Likes

I consider them 100% necessary, less so for the drop protection (in the case of a drop the phone will typically land on a corner outside of the protected area) and more for protection against scratches (when in a pocket/purse with keys/etc) - despite the manufacturer’s bullshit marketing, modern screens still scratch easily. A pristine screen also boosts the resale value of the phone.

If you want to get one, get the cheapest glass one on Amazon - never waste your money buying the name brand ones in high street shops (unless you’re in a hurry and need the phone protected right away).

2 Likes

Got a pack of 3 coming tomorrow :+1:t2:I’ll see how I get on. Only concern is it could affect the sensitivity of the screen

1 Like

I’ve been using glass screen protectors for years and I haven’t noticed any issues, at least on iPhones.

2 Likes

Tried the screen protector and as my screen is curved it doesn’t fit well. Least I tried

1 Like

Sounds more like you got one that’s not actually suitable for your phone, mines curved and I got one on perfectly fine, did you go with a cheaper not known brand rather than a more established one

4 Likes