Rewilding

Haha yeah, we’ve got a bunch of articles/ guides on different things. There definitely seems to be more of a trend to think about these things these days…

I did have a vegetable patch in my garden, but I didn’t actually make that much use of it myself, so felt that nature could make much more use out of the space.

1 Like

Yeah, arguably some sources of meat would actually be of benefit to the environment e.g. deer are a huge problem with natural regeneration of places, as they don’t have any predators to keep the numbers under control, and keep them moving so they don’t overgraze areas. If you are having to cull them anyway, then the meat shouldn’t be wasted. You just have to make sure that they are actually wild catches and not farmed deer for example.

2 Likes

Software/network engineering. I run my own company small(ish) company, and we typically build iPhone apps, manage ecosystems, infrastructure, and networks on behalf of clients.

I’m mostly reserved to more of a consultancy role these days, which results in a very inconsistently structured life. I’ll have periods where I’m working 18 hours a day (more often than not, overnight!) for a month, then 3 weeks with absolutely no work at all! Would be great to use some of that downtime to engage in things like this!

You actually have quite a few projects in the Scottish highlands, all of which are quite close to where I currently live! I’m particularly intrigued with what you’re doing with the Sea Eagles! I’ve not seen any myself yet, but we are actually planning to do the Bird’s of Prey Trail in the Outer Hebrides sometime soon when lockdown restrictions permit it and we’re fully vaccinated!

The wildlife and landscapes in the Scottish highlands are really quite remarkable, and it’s great to see you’re involved in projects here!

1 Like

Funny you should say that, an app is on the cards to rollout… :wink:

More seriously though, if you do want to get involved at all then drop us a message through the site (and maybe mention the chat here for context) and we can set up a chat, we currently have people helping out with all sorts of roles from a couple of hours a week+, it’s pretty flexible. There is also the ability to book a call with someone on the team through the site to generally chat about what we do, we’re a small company at the moment.

Ah cool! Yeah, Scotland is one of our hubs as that is where one of our biologists is based :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you haven’t seen it, you might enjoy/ be inspired by this video by Scottish rewilding alliance

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that! The future imagined there is something I very much hope to see become a reality in my life time!

If you haven’t signed up yet then the code ‘ DANROM1SK5’ will plant an extra 8 trees - so definitely worth doing :pray:

2 Likes

Welcome to Mossy Earth @Dan5!

I’ve now just become CTO @ Mossy Earth (I’d been doing pro-bono dev work with them for a few months), so feel free to provide any feedback/ ask any questions!

3 Likes

Thanks! I look forward to seeing it grow and amazing things happening. Congrats on your new role too :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, excited to see where we can take things, scope to do some really interesting and impactful projects.

1 Like

@Dan5 I noticed the other day that Starling do tree planting for new customers, do you think Monzo would be interested in doing something similar around rewilding with us? Or anyone you’d be able to put us in contact with to ask?

1 Like

@N26throwaway how was the Attenborough documentary about nature during the pandemic? I haven’t gotten round to watching it yet

Also, I thought people might find this crowd funder interesting, they are looking to raise money to buy some land to rewild in England.

3 Likes

This looks pretty cool initially.

Will have a proper look around their website etc later.

It’s definitely worth a watch, I enjoyed it!

I think it did an excellent job of demonstrating that although at times it seems like some wildlife benefit from our existence, they can actually thrive without it.

As a lover of wildlife, I think that’s both a shame, and a real eye opener. I’d love to live in a world where we can coexist with nature, yet still engage with it but without any of the detrimental effects.

With that said, if our absence is necessary, then we ought to be absent so other species can thrive! Or at least, as a society, work towards a better and more balanced middle ground. I think there were some great proposals in the documentary as to how we can achieve them, and how some wildlife reserves plan to put some new rules in place in order to preserve some of the benefits lockdown has had on wildlife.

I also think we’ve demonstrated just how adaptable we are as a species, and that perhaps we could be open to the idea of infrequent smaller scale lockdowns in the future. Small changes to our lifestyle can have the most profound impact to our air quality, global warming, and the wildlife. Our temporary absence can do a lot of good for the planet.

1 Like

While I agree that temporary absences could do a lot of good, I don’t think they would ever work in the real world; for the same reason that fad diets don’t.

The weekend before starting a diet on Monday we treat ourselves to takeaway because we deserve it. Before a Green Lockdown, individuals and companies would just try and cram in what they can’t get done during it. It will have short term gains but nothing that lasts.

For real results there needs to be a permanent change in attitude and habits. I think we are getting there, people are already making those permanent changes to their daily lives and over time it will snowball. It will be these changes in attitudes over generations that will see the biggest gains for the welfare of the planet.

3 Likes

I think the advantage of a temporary change is that people can see the difference that their actions can make, and thus drive a permanent change.

3 Likes

True, I just don’t think you’d get people to actually do it or take it seriously.

For example we’re in the middle of a global pandemic where failure to comply with lockdown rules could very well have an affect on either your own health or someone you know, and that isn’t even enough for some people to get on board.

It’s like anything though, there’ll always be some people who won’t get involved - but at some point you hit a point where the critical mass makes enough difference.

That might be by our own actions, or by forcing big corporations to make changes.

One of the things I’m trying to do is to shift as much of my spending to more environmentally friendly companies and products. The more people who do that the more the giants will be encouraged to do the same thing.

3 Likes