Request money from friends (Apple Pay link?)

Hello,

I’ve recently switched from Starling to Monzo. One feature that was incredibly useful was requesting money from friends by sending a link that incorporated the option to settle up using Apple Pay.

I’ve just sent one to a friend who always uses Apple Pay (including the many times he settled with my when I was with Starling) and no option to pay using Apple Pay.

Am I doing something wrong?

1 Like

It was removed a fair while ago - Oct 2019.

2 Likes

Is there any chance of this feature ever coming back? It was quite handy

2 Likes

This is so poor, Starling has had it running flawlessly for years :man_facepalming:

It’s not a fault, it costs the bank money to provide apple / Google pay so monzo didn’t want that cost.

1 Like

As with most business decisions it likely cost too much for little to no benefit. For example, hardly anyone used it.

1 Like

Starling are happy with the cost to benefit their customers. Let’s be honest, it can’t be that significant!

Maybe if Starling triple their customer base they’ll also stop doing it.

From the thread I linked to, money wasn’t mentioned as the reason but Carlo probably knows better as to the real reason.

1 Like

Yes, your link seemed suggest it would be back up and running in no time… 2 years later :upside_down_face:

It was Sept 19 it went, so it’s actually 3 and nearly a half!

1 Like

2023 already, I can’t count :joy:

1 Like

It’s available for customers to do their first payment to their monzo account on opening, or at least it was, but not for existing customers. Probably to make it easier first off to add funds.

I left soon after so not sure if it remained.

1 Like

This is in regards to friends settling a payment with me. Sending a link which allows them to pay via Apple Pay (or Google Pay) is so much more convenient than having to enter card details each time.

Tell them to join Monzo, and tell them they get £10 free for doing so :person_shrugging: Complain to your friends for using archaic systems. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m surprised people use Monzo.me. Whenever I tried people just questioned what it was and asked if it was safe - they then just asked for my bank details as they preferred to bank transfer.

1 Like

I use it a lot internally at work, for collections for people leaving. But 90% of people have Monzo so it just opens in that for them - I think.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m the token organiser for sweep stakes and collections, so it is handy! With starling it didn’t matter if they were with starling or not. Unfortunately so many people are afraid of technology or are too stubborn to change :upside_down_face:

1 Like

If you’ve burned your bridges with Starling, and have completely closed your old account there (meaning you won’t be able to re-open immediately) I’d recommend Revolut for this – you can even choose your own username. Similarly, PayPal offers something similar.

2 Likes

I’m half tempted to jump back to Starling, it’ll have to be a new account, but in terms of seamless usability, Monzo is unfortunately miles behind (imo)!

You won’t be able to return for at least 12 months from Starling closure.

2 Likes