Receiving international payments with Monzo

Just reporting that I made an international transfer too. My overseas bank (in India) had a SWIFT code for Monzo that showed up in their search. That plus the sort code and account number did the trick. I didn’t need an IBAN so haven’t tested that yet.

Set it up on Friday morning and the money was in on Monday morning.

6 Likes

Good question. It’s not the first time Monzo have done this. Foreign transfers spring to mind.

2 Likes

As far as I know it works but it’s unreliable. So for all those people who are happy to have unreliable incoming transfers, yes, it works :man_shrugging:

I’ve moved the international payments chat here to keep us on topic! Feel free to continue the discussion here.

4 Likes

It was going down a specific path, focusing on a specific thing.

1 Like

Nothing’s been released yet. Whatever partially works is because…circumstances and happenstance (which is why it’s unreliable).

The thing which is being deliberately developed to handle these transfers is still in development.

2 Likes

As I said already, nothing has been released yet so that’s what they’re doing. :+1:

Edit: for completeness sake, they did add a basic transferwise integration for sending money, yes.

2 Likes

I provide services to a European company. They send my payment to UK every month.
That is why I am still not fully on Monzo.

Hi everyone

I was just browsing the community a bit and found similar posts, but I thought, that I’m gonna ask as well.

I currently live in between London and Zurich. Shout out to fellow neighbours in the Hoxton/Shoreditch area :wink: And I went all in #FullMonzo about 2 weeks ago. All of my payments like rent, food and even salary go through Monzo.

However, if I want to receive payments from the outside of the UK, I still need to first send them to my Swiss bank account and then transfer over to Monzo with TransferWise.

Are there any plans in the near future to connect Monzo to SWIFT/IBAN? I want to bring in all the payments from my clients as well. So I go 100% #FullMonzo and not only 90% :wink:

Thanks!

5 Likes

Hey @JoelKaiLenz! I’ve moved your post here as Monzo has been doing some thinking about this - more detail in the first post! :+1::smile:

1 Like

Cool thanks! A lot of info here…

Will have enough to read for the beginning :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Switzerland is not in the EU.

8 Likes

When it comes to the EU, why bother with facts when opinions will do?

11 Likes

Facts are used by experts. We apparently don’t like them anymore as a nation so we’re free to make up our own truths instead.

People in government have said so, so it must be true.

5 Likes

This. I contract for a company based in Ljubljana. At the moment I hold a HSBC EUR account which they pay into every month, I then use a free inter HSBC transfer transfer to take those EUR into GBP, and then I send that to Monzo. HSBC don’t charge for transfers between your own accounts, but the exchange rate can be a bit naff.

HSBC does charge for transfers between currency accounts but the fees are “hidden” in the rates. I use TransferWise to convert from HSBC EUR to HSBC GBP, it’s slower but I usually get a better rate.

1 Like

My invoices are in sterlin.
I don’t need business account working as a sole trader.

Yeah but also the land with the highest prices :wink: Especially if you’re craving food.

Haha true! I’m just looking for a new flat in Soho and man?! I just heard my bank account getting crushed :scream: :scream: :scream:

We’ve shared an update on receiving international payments here:

2 Likes