[Q&A] Ask us about Pulse!

AMAZING :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

They’re complaining to each other on Facebook, not to Facebook so if there really was a problem, users have no reason not to keep complaining.

I’m glad to see the pulse come to Android, it’s certainly been a highly requested feature! I really hope we’ll see just a little bit more feature-parity though in the future. I feel like a lot of the users who are complaining in this thread didn’t even know that the pulse had been one of the ‘main’ features of Monzo for a lot of iOS users and had always been slated for Android. I think I can remember Monzo staff talking about why different platforms need features to go live at different times, and that’s fine. It’s important that these different times are closer to a month than several however, otherwise users will be confused when their platform ‘catches up’.

1 Like

A lot of Android users were demanding it as they were pissed that Android was behind iOS in Monzo’s app development. However now they see how it is only suitable for those with large screens and certain spending patterns and not on less flash less expensive devices with smaller screens or if you have other spending patterns they are genuinely annoyed it takes up so much of the screen without being closeable/hideable.

The fact the Pulse graph was introduced AND a bottom bar menu replaced the Hamburger menu totally dumbfounds me. Did they not realise how the two in conjunction compound the problem of eating into the available screen area for displaying the important data…the transactions.

1 Like

I imagine it came as a complete surprise to them.

2 Likes

After messing around a bit and realising what it means, I’ve come to like it.

Mine currently says… STOP SPENDING FFS.

Which is good. I like that :heart_eyes:

If you look at mine, you can see an obvious pattern and how it works.

sketch-1518736682361

6 Likes

Thank you for the preview, the pulse makes more sense to me now, but again only for someone who has a regular income. I don’t, and after 3 months of using Monzo as my main account, I have this:

Maybe the pulse will help me rethink how I manage my cashflow in the future but for the time being it’s a random line on top of my screen.

2 Likes

I think the Pulse holds great potential. I’m looking forward to seeing it realised.

5 Likes

Likewise. As it stands, it doesn’t really add a great deal of value for me - but I appreciate it’s part of a bigger picture that will be realised in time, so happy to wait and see :v:t2:

4 Likes

Samsung for one has always been ahead of Apple for screen size of their flagship phone…

1 Like

for me, then Pulse makes sense, but if you have all your money come in the same day it all goes out to pay bills and you have a flat line not lots of peaks and troughs it is useless.

2 Likes

or if you only put £8 on to your Current Account card a week to only pay for your coffee because you don’t trust contactless payments it doesnt have much use

Its a generic tool to show whether the majority of perceived average users are spending their salary too quickly and then they can either choose, or not, to change their spending habits - Monzo cant stop you spending your salary too fast, but its trying to give you an indication of whether you are, or not, and giving you as much notice as possible to change the habit thats leading you to no funds mid month

Sure it won’t suit every scenario, for every user , but probably for most it offers the possibility to change their habits, if those habits are leading to no funds , if the user wants to change the habit - its a graph at the end of the day - just as targets are telling you how much you’re spending on coffee, doesnt stop you buying coffee - how people want to use it is up to them

3 Likes

We can see that…however, put it somewhere else in the app, don’t put it on the home page where our transaction list is.

1 Like

That’s why not every user wants to see it.

4 Likes

And make the people who find it incredibly useful have to go out of there way more to find it?

2 Likes

We’re working on solving that. With the upcoming Breakdown some of these things will fit in place and you’ll have a better understanding of what money is really “left to spend” (that’s the power of having scheduled payments plus income and savings in the same app).

(I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up mixing Pulse and Breakdown in some way once we know more about it and how people use it).

My only concern about the pulse (that we haven’t solved yet) is the scale. Usually the rent takes a huge chunk of someone’s salary and that reduces the graph “resolution” in half. There are approaches though to avoid outliers breaking the scale of a graph so I’m sure we’ll give it a good solution.

7 Likes

A logarithmic scale? with a large expense like your £2000 rent or mortgage making the graph have a variable scale instead of fixed scale depending on how the balance fluctuates.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s exactly the other solution :raised_hands: Specially for overdrafts where suddenly the £100 that go from 0 to -£100 are very important and should be clearly distinguishable from the £100 that took you from £2000 to £1900.

2 Likes

One way to make those of us who grumble about the Pulse bar shut up is to find a way to display more transactions below it.

You could:
• reduce the height of the transactions displayed or hide the date dividers
• remove the huge bottom menu bar and reinstate a hamburger menu (perhaps at top right)
• have Pulse remain on screen if you scroll left on the pulse but have it hide if you scroll down the transaction list below the graph

Screenshot_2018-02-16-11-01-50

At the moment the fact it takes up 1/3 of the screen (and then the bottom menu bar more) so it may only display 4 transactions instead of say 7 (8 without bottom menu too) is a pain!

Screenshot_2018-02-16-11-04-38

4 Likes

There could be an option to have it on its own screen or where it is now (or both).

2 Likes