[Q&A] Ask us about Pulse!

Screenshot_20180215-131116

This is my android :frowning:

1 Like

Screenshot_20180215-131107__01

This is what I see

1 Like

Isn’t the pulse graph more to do with if you carry on spending like you’re spending you will run out of money on or around this sort of date (if it gave you a date for predicted £0 balance which it doesnt …yet ) - yes of course you could obviously counter this with spending all your available balance the day/ week before this predicted date and say " Its useless " :slight_smile: :slight_smile: why is it taking up so much of my screen :slight_smile: :slight_smile: trying to tell me how and when to reign back on my spending because Im running out of money before Im running out of Month - "bl**dy Monzo :slight_smile: -

Its all about giving you more insight into managing your finances - yes there will be one off holidays which will distort your spending - you know when you’re going on holiday , most people will have usual spends shown in the predictive graph , and the occasional one off spends ( which they will mostly have budgeted for anyway)

Most users will, I think benefit from this, of course some don’t need it :slight_smile: we’ve been talking a lot about Monzo teaching - or trying to - teach how to manage your finances a lot on the forum previously - the graph I feel helps , its not finished - hopefully much more to come

3 Likes

Strange… I have the Beta app and had it turned on (from developer options) prior to the latest update… I wonder whether that’s why mine is different? The option has now disappeared… May try reinstalling.

each dashed line represents a day

Actually, that’s not true… It’s just a dashed line, meant to represent £0 balance. That’s why not everyone has it (only people that have dipped in negative balance in the last month or so).

Having said that, this is a great idea :memo: :wink:

4 Likes

Currently it’s just a very basic implementation that takes into account your average daily spend (from when you opened the account), and projects that into the future. It is more of a placeholder implementation for making it easy to augment with real data.

6 Likes

That’s strange, I wonder whether a TfL payment has sent it under 0 at some point? I manually transfer funds on roughly a weekly basis (now do it via a standing order).

I’ve scrolled through a few times and each dash (for me at least), corresponds with roughly a day.

Hi @Tas thanks so much for engaging with us directly on here! I’ve got a couple more questions along this track if you’re willing to indulge me?

1. Does it include spending only as current account or also the pre-paid?
  2. Does it ever have a kind of rolling window with a cut off? Or prioritise recent behaviour more than say behaviour from a year ago?

Number 2 is very interesting to me since my estimate doesn’t at all seem to match my real spending (though it may match an overall average of transactions out of my account - which also includes me moving money to savings etc) with no regard for the actual ratio of income vs outgoings in a particular month

Very interested to see how smart this can get in the future :wink: :+1:

or an end date on the graph at £0 balance when it gets closer to it rather than counting dashes ?

I should probably make this clear, I wasn’t involved in implementing that logic (this is done on the server-side). I do have access to their code though, and here are the answers from what I can tell:

1. There are currently 2 graphs being calculated for prepaid an current account. On the client, we merge these two (so for example, if you had a prepaid and a current account at the same time at some point, with £30 in each, the data point we’d display would be for £60). For the projected part, we simply use the current account part of the graph (since by now, no one is supposed to have both accounts active). That means that indeed, it only takes into account your spending in the current account.
  2. From what I can tell, no, it uses information from the time the account was opened. I will verify that with someone from backend though, and come back to you if I’m mistaken. Prioritising more recent data (like a few months of spending) sounds like a quick-win that we could add, even before we spend time to add information from other parts of your account (like direct debits, standing orders etc).
3 Likes

Noted, we are actually experimenting with various labels that we could add, and also how to make them appear/disappear so as to not clutter the graph.

2 Likes

So is it not considered slightly misleading to not currently display DD and SO in the forecast? I would think it was safer to show nothing for the future until this is implemented.
This level of prediction made some sense for the prepaid card (though repeated monthly transactions would also have been possible to predict).

I understand everything is still a work in progress and software is never finished but I don’t remember this being communicated?

I’m not trying to make a massive deal out of this btw I’m just not sure it’s been communicated as well as other Monzo stuff.

I think it’s pretty obvious that the forecast isn’t 100% accurate so no one should be relying on it..

I agree that it would be better to include those payments but it doesn’t have to be perfect in order to be useful in my opinion.

3 Likes

I think with banking products sold to the general consumer with the aim of helping people managing their money that’s a really bad position.

I can see how it’s happened and I understand MVP but I think accuracy at this level should have been in the first iteration.

How many months data does it need to forecast? I don’t get a forecast at the moment and been using Monzo since 20th December

Are you on Android or iOS? A bit more info about timelines:

• In order to see the graph, 2 months and 3 days must have passed since you joined (this is so that we have enough data to show, and a lot of complex calculations have gone into that number).
  • You should always see the projected line (currently only for the rest of the month, not spanning to later periods), but you need to have a positive balance (since we don’t take incoming transactions into account yet).

I’m actually on iOS, but all I see is this? I guess it because I haven’t been using it long enough :slight_smile: 20th Dec isn’t 2 months and 3 days! I’ll wait a little longer :slight_smile: Thanks!

IMG_1170

A post was merged into an existing topic: Android App, Security and Privacy (Fingerprint, Pin, or Password)

Really dislike the look of this feature - It’s too overbearing. Would be great if there was an option to turn it off. I just don’t really see how such a small/basic graph that you can’t actually view as a complete month etc is actually meaningful or useful?

1 Like

people stop complaining eventuaully when they realise they are pissing into the wind, not because they become happy with the changes

8 Likes