Proving discrimination (job hunting)

I’m not proud to say I’m on universal credit!after pandemic cut my plan B career (and plan A).I’ve been obsessed with getting back in the workplace.Problem is … my hearing doesn’t work as well as it used to (old nightclub DJ) tinnitus has gotten worse over the years & I’m 55yrs old.I know companies won’t tell me we can’t hire you because your old and deaf, but I’ve had many interviews and job trials that I didn’t get because of these reasons! Maybe I never noticed this before, but I now I do.i personally think I have a lot to offer a company, but being older and hard or hearing, others don’t think that way.

1 Like

As long as you can concisely say you’re trying there’s nothing to be ashamed of.

Have you looked at customer service live chat type roles where you can work from home?

The software used is usually intuitive and helpful suggesting help articles you can read to assist the customer quickly because they want you closing requests as soon as possible, so I wouldn’t be too worried if you know nothing about the actual industry you’re applying for.

2 Likes

I can believe the frustration for sure. When I was out of work due to redundancy several years ago it took me a very long time to get back into a job. But not for the same issues you suspect, more because my own aspirations were to high and I needed to essentially start my career from bottom floor again. It’s incredibly demoralising to be knocked back for job after job.

To get to the root cause and to help you resolve such a nuanced topic on banking forum probably isn’t the best place.

I would very highly recommend getting help (assuming you haven’t done so) from the plethora of support organisations out there. There will be some both run by your local authority, and privately locally to you.

There is a job out there for you (Christ I know my company cannot get enough decent people at the moment) just need to make sure you are not wasting your time applying for the wrong jobs.

5 Likes

I’m just going to leave this here:

2 Likes

being deaf is a protected characteristic are you ticking the guaranted interview box , as long as you meet the criteria for the interview then you should get at least the interview then its down to you to impress

1 Like

It does depend on the role. I can’t do my job if I was deaf for example.

But I can’t imagine many deaf people going for roles that obviously are not something they could undertake.

Best of luck to anyone looking for jobs; it’s not a pleasant experience in any way.

1 Like