Problem with Octopus Energy

I’m glad you “got there” in your understanding.

I’ve been leading my daughter through the same process over the last year as she moved into a shared house for the first time. It’s not entirely straightforward but it’s pretty standard in this country so I didn’t want to throw all of that at you in the event that I was missing your point in the initial post.

Hopefully things will be more straightforward looking forward.

My only other observation is that some companies offer a discount to those paying by regular direct debit rather than on receipt of a bill so looking at the alternative costs (if any) of whatever form of payment you want to proceed with may be worthwhile.

I think there are some good explanations as to how bills works regarding energy. What I will say is that companies in general don’t want to throw so much information to customers at once because they will feel overwhelmed and won’t switch to them. That’s why when you first make the switch they try to make it as simple as possible even if they miss out on important information, which is probably what happen with you. Just wanted to clarify why this is the case.

1 Like

I’m with octopus the Tariff contain two elements a standing charge 19.5p per day electricity and 16p per day gas per quarter £31.50 standing charge I think charges also depend upon the part of country and also if your on an independent network.

Second charge is per k/wh

Octopus put out an excellent communication about consumption changes to non smart meter customers with a small uplift due to covid consumption

Just keep submitting regular meter reads and there should be no shock bils

It’s easy once you get the hang of it!

This is a big problem for anyone new to a country. Monzo is writing for a domestic audience and is just the intermediary. It’s a shame Octopus couldn’t provide you with clearer info though, as the provider.

1 Like

Octopus are by far the best energy company I’ve dealt with myself. I’ve got very clear and quick answers whenever I’ve had any issues.

1 Like

I’ve just gone through the switch and it clearly says assumption on KWh therefore meaning it’s a best guess.

Important for others to note the TCR this is so you can compare like for like

1 Like

I was with octopus before I switched to bulb (octopus was actually cheaper :man_facepalming:) I ended up £1000 in credit by the time I switched and whilst it took about two months to get credited, it did all get paid back into my account. So I wouldn’t worry about paying to much because if you don’t use it, it just builds up like a savings account. Given interest rates are at record lows. It’s basically the same thing lol.

This is how Octopus work. You effectively load your account with credit, and all the DD is doing each month is just that. Had the same thing last month when I switched to them!

I am with AVRO and they work in the same way, i.e. first DD immediately, to build up a credit.

They were clear, however, that that was how an account with them worked, so not an issue.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.