Posting the same complaint repeatedly in different threads

Got you. So it would be aimed at Regulars then?

1 Like

Yes, can’t expect new users to be aware of this.

1 Like

In the same way repeatedly banging your head against a wall does? Until you realise it feels rather nice when you stop?

8 Likes

So if a contributor with a grey and blue badge mentions ApplePay, they’ll get a warning from Alex for raising a topic of conversation in more than one place whereas if you’ve got a blue badge you’ll be penalised in some way for mentioning it again? :thinking:

Nothing’s been decided so no one’s handing out warnings. If you have an opinion on this discussion, please feel free to share it here.

It’s just a little light humour, old chap.

I’ll have a word with myself. I tried to use humour in more than one topic. :wink:

3 Likes

I’m not too up with the forum’s software but is there a plugin or anyway we can ‘suggest’ similar threads when someone is creating a new thread?

EDIT: So looking at this: https://meta.discourse.org/t/more-options-for-your-topic-is-similar-to/80057 it looks like it is something that the forums software can do but it does not appear to be active?

1 Like

I don’t know what is more impacting frankly. The scenario that you depict or the fact that you keep banging on about it when it happens.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not sure what’s going on there, there used to be a prompt which is either inactive or doesn’t work that well. But that’s probably more for new users anyway, as regulars know that the thread exists.

1 Like

You do have the option to mute this thread if you don’t want to see it. I promise that I won’t post about this elsewhere :wink:

2 Likes

It does feel like half the threads regularly get hijacked by Apple Pay. Don’t get me wrong, I want it, but I know it’ll come when it comes, so in the meantime would prefer to read/discuss more imminent features/feedback.

Shoutout to the leaders who keep tidying it all up - don’t envy that!

14 Likes

Beetlejuice?

3 Likes

dGZoA1f

1 Like

Is that happening though? I know that I’ve not noticed it. By which I mean I’ve not noticed any particular individuals spoiling anything (I’ve definitely noticed occasional Apple Pay posts).

The community guidelines are there to prevent that which is unacceptable, not that which is ‘good.’

2 Likes

Haha. Sort of; but in a slightly less painful and destructive way :face_with_head_bandage:l :confounded:

1 Like

I think free speech within limits is important, so if people want to moan about Apple, Orange or Purple Pay then that’s their prerogative. It’s a forum for God’s sake most people come on here to moan about things. Long may it continue! Not unless people want to block free speech because they don’t like it. Happened in Germany if I remember correctly and look what happened there…

1 Like

A little bit OTT don’t you think. Moaning here comes from same voices again and again and that’s what @alexs is talking about. No one wants to block anything without any reason.

This community is not for the absolute free speech, by the way, you know well as a Regular here, that is a code of conduct and Monzo have every right to block what they don’t see fit. Afterall it’s their community.

5 Likes

It is (for me). When people moan about something they don’t like, even though it’s been fully discussed elsewhere, it’s irritating and boorish. Overall I’ve found the forum less enjoyable over the last few months because of the volume of complaints that are simply moaning about something the person has already discussed elsewhere. They know it won’t change anything.

I don’t think anyone’s suggested that people be prevented discussing any particular topic. The problem being discussed now is that some people will raise a concern/dislike, have it fully discussed in a thread, but then they will continue to hijack other threads to repeat the complaint. This serves absolutely no purpose as it won’t change anything, but it’s annoying and rude to others who are interested in actual discussion.

4 Likes

If users spam (multiple threads on the same topic at the same time) or deliberately troll (posts intended to annoy other users), you should warn them and move posts etc.

If users post in good faith about a feature which has been promised for years, you should IMO ignore it and move on, not attempt to interfere with their posts, hide them or downgrade them. I personally found it annoying having threads which were perfectly on topic moved off the spending feedback thread, though I didn’t bother to complain about it, so moderating too heavily also has risks in alienating customers trying to use this forum to discuss Monzo. I feel personally there’s a little too much moving threads around here, but understand the impulse to do so.

This forum is for Monzo users to discuss features and give feedback to Monzo on how they’re doing, and part of that is to let them know that users are impatient for features, or to add our voice to the chorus asking for a particular thing (be that joint accounts, custom categories or apple pay). That’s healthy and not something to be discouraged IMO. As a mod, you’ll feel unusually jaded about such threads, but that’s because you’re here all the time - the vast majority of users are not here all the time.

I haven’t really posted on Apple Pay threads, but I certainly don’t begrudge other users doing so, as there are many users you are impatient for this feature and wish to know what is going on as every month passes, because the messaging from Monzo on this has been terrible (I’m sure they have reasons, but it’s been incredibly confusing and opaque).

10 Likes

Ok, thanks for sharing this feedback.

I agree with everything else that you’ve said in that post but it’s all off-topic or been covered by the earlier comments in this thread.

I have no problem merging new topics from new users into existing threads :slight_smile: If you ever feel that a topic shouldn’t have been merged, please do send the Leader a DM, we will get this wrong sometimes.