Phone is dead, can I manage my Monzo from my computer?

my phone is dead and in order to buy a new one i need to move money from my monzo savings account into the active pay. is there a way to do so from my computer?

1 Like

There is no way to move money from computer :desktop_computer: you can however check your account via Monzo API access

developers.monzo.com/api/playground

Best advise would be to get in touch with support via email help@monzo.com and I am sure they will be able to move money from Pot to your account.

6 Likes

What @SC95 said, or borrow a phone from someone you trust.

2 Likes

This is arguably the only thing my legacy bank does better than Monzo. With no way to access the account other than via your phone, it really does limit your access to your money. I would have thought a basic web interface would have been up by the time Monzo was promoting itself to be a main account

10 Likes

If you contact help@monzo.com we can look into this for you

We may be able to complete a bank transfer on request.

2 Likes

How straightforward is it to add your Monzo account to a borrowed/old phone, then delete it securely once youā€™re done and can switch back to your phone?

It is straightforward but even relatives would raise eyebrows if I wanted to install an app on their phoneā€¦or maybe itā€™s just my family ha ha

2 Likes

Iā€™d hope itā€™d just be a case of ā€œplease can I borrow your phone for 5 minutesā€, add Monzo, log in, move funds from pot to available, clear Monzo data and cache, uninstall, clear phone RAM. Done?

1 Like

Basically, yes. Youā€™ll need to access your email from their phone so it needs to be someone you trust and who trusts you.

Install disposable browser (firefox focus/duckduckgo?), log in via webmail, clear data/cache/ram and uninstall once done?

What do you do if you have 2-step verification?

Downloading it on a friends phone is great but not massively practical all the time/all people. Monzo marketing itself as a modern bank but unfortunately lacks something very basic. Iā€™ve only ever used online banking twice but its there if I need it but its another one of the small things Monzo is lacking (imo)

2 Likes

Hey Beth, thanks for replying on your holiday :sunny: Hope youā€™ve got better weather than here!

Monzo is primarily app-based but if your phone and email are unavailable then

• Whatā€™s the extent of what we can get sorted by ringing up* using a landline?
  • Would it be possible to move funds from a pot to available balance just by phoning up?

*For future ref:
From UK 0800 802 1281
From abroad +44 20 3872 0620
Source: https://monzo.com/faq

Oh, the irony:

I want app pin / other login - ā€œwhy? Never, under any circumstances give anyone your unlocked phone. Your life is ruined the moment you do that anyway.ā€

I loose/break my phone - I depend on someone else to give me their unlocked phoneā€¦

And this isnā€™t even seen as a problem ā€¦

7 Likes

Or use an old Android/iPhone at home?

Some people I would, some I wouldnā€™t and theyā€™d be using it in front of me. Would I let them have it and take it where I couldnā€™t see? Hell no

And Iā€™d activate Touch ID on the monzo app before I handed it over

1 Like

Thereā€™s a difference between giving someone access to your unlocked phone unsupervised versus watching their every move.

If I borrow someoneā€™s phone I fully accept (and expect) them to be looking over my shoulder as to what Iā€™m doing on their phone - in fact out of respect Iā€™ll keep the screen visible to them at all times.

4 Likes

dear Everyone
the help@monzo.com has already done it
quick and easy :slight_smile:
so tnx!!

9 Likes

Itā€™s not working, it shows me the account balance itā€™s Ā£0 when i have over Ā£1k in the account, also states that iā€™m a prepaid user and i have to upgrade since i already upgraded and have a current account, itā€™s only me getting this?

Best advise would be to get in touch with support via email help@monzo.com and I am sure they will be able to move money from Pot to your account.

3 Likes

My app itā€™s working fine, i dinā€™t lost my phone, i have money in the account when using the app, but i have 0 balance when checking with the link you provided