Payment Notifications

(Gary McEwan) #1

Please feel free to move this to the right category if needed.

First Bus and McGill’s in Glasgow have recently introduced contactless via their ticket machines which is brilliant as I no longer need to carry cash. But what I’ve noticed is that when paying by contactless, an authorisation payment of £0.10 is taken and I get the notification for it and then sits pending for a couple of days just to make sure that the card is fine before being refunded but when the companies then take the full payment a couple of days later, the app doesn’t seem to give us a notification to say that the payment has been taken.

It’s not really a major problem but it would be nice to get a notification to say that the payment has been taken rather than trying to figure out why my balance is lower than what I had expected it to be.

Anyone in the Glasgow area noticed this?

(James Murray-Ferris) #2

Sound similar to how TFL and Pay@Pumps Work as they use the same transaction and just settle at a higher amount…I agree it’d be nice to know when it’s fully completed

(Shaun McDonald) #3

A more general solution for this would be even the authorisation and settlement are different amounts and a notification on settlement. This would also help with foreign currency transactions which have a similar issue due to currency movements.

(Kevyn) #4

Report the card authorisation in app to Monzo and they start to recognise them and not deduct them. They also may refund it straight away. I used to get this a lot with Amazon and iTunes but has decreased lately.

(Kevyn) #6

Card check authorisations are not denying any money for the merchants. They are transactions which are never followed through by the merchant as they check the card is active - thats all. The OP was talking about 10p card checks, Monzo are trying to stop them being taken. I suggested a way to help Monzo.

(Andre Borie) #7

Oops, sorry my mistake - I read the post above about auth and settlement amounts being different and thought you got Monzo to reject settlements when the amount was different from the initial authorization.

(Kevyn) #8

No problem, I was just confused :grin: