Paying in cheques - security

You might or might not be able to open an account with Monzo. Previous advice was give it a go CIFAS marker check

1 Like

Depending on the type of marker, either monzo wonā€™t open an account either, or youā€™ll find other banks that are willing to open an account too.

Broadly, and hugely simplified: of your cifas marker is classing you as victim if fraud then you should be able to open a basic bank account (without overdraft etc) with most banks. If its classing you as perpetrator of fraud, I canā€™t imagine monzo opening an account for you.

If you donā€™t mind asking: what type of marker do you have?

1 Like

Hmmm seems thestudentroom site (people on their forums) is actively telling people with CIFAS markers to apply to Monzo as they donā€™t use the CIFAS database. Maybe for prepaid cards but thatā€™s not a thing anymore. Can see this causing problems

1 Like

I donā€™t have an idea what cifas marker iā€™ve got because my bank account has been closed couple monhts ago and straight away my mate let me to use his other account and since that time i did try to open the bank account with hsbc and with halifax last week. I just came back from Netherland because iā€™ve been there for a week time and i had 3 letters from Halifax:

1. Your current account with overdraft (200 pounds) has been sucessfully open
  2. PIN number
  3. And the most disappointing letter which one was about that they canā€™t open my account and that i do have to withdraw all the moneyā€¦ bla bla blaā€¦ And the booklet describing cifas institution and my rights
1 Like

While you arenā€™t guaranteed to be allowed to open 1, on the thread I linked earlier someone was successful. Give it a go, nothing to loose by trying

3 Likes

Donā€™t make me upset. Iā€™ve checked same topic over there and from there i got know that Monzo doesnā€™t use CIFAS database. I need to open the bank account to get that cheque, transfer all my direct debits and the payments from my m8 account, and also Iā€™ll be trying to get the some benefits for the new born baby which one is due to 11.09.2018. Yeah i know 11.09ā€¦ Hopefully it wonā€™t be a small t3rr0r1st :smiley:

1 Like

Iā€™ve already did it but got to wait couple days because there is above 160k persons waiting for the account at the moment ;/

Congrats. Hope it works out but after you apply they will want more information before they decide. The advice that Monzo donā€™t check is wrong, but they will get extra info before they decide rather than a faff like you went through with Halifax. Keep an eye for a Golden Ticket, thereā€™s a thread on here and some on twitter. It lets you skip the queue. Let us know how you get on :yum:

3 Likes

Can you try to find out a bit more? I know fairly little about this but it seems that someone has to explain to you why a cifas marker was placed on your file. You could also query cifas yourself, though there is a fee for this.

PS, I just sent you a golden ticket per PN, so at least you donā€™t need go wait in the queue. Wish you the best of luck! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I passed verification and I got the info that the card will be delivered by the 04.04.2018. Is it mean that everything is all right and they did accept my application and Iā€™ll be able to use the account? Nanos, Rat_au_van doesnā€™t matter if it will work or not youā€™re the bosses. Itā€™s my first forum Iā€™m posting since 8 years and you suprised my kindly and gave hope that still we can find good people in the internet :wink: Btw. sorry for my grammar but itā€™s my second language :wink:

Edit - Big thank you from my fiancee for the congrats and all help from u guys
Edit2 - Separate thank you for you Nanos for the Golden ticket, Iā€™ve almost forgot, sorry :wink:

3 Likes

Firstly, Iā€™m really happy for you! :slight_smile:

If I were you, Iā€™d still suggest you try to open a second account elsewhere. Just to have a backup, should something similar happen again. Maybe wait a couple of weeks, to be sure monzo is well and truly open, and to try and figure out as much as you can about your cifas marker.

(donā€™t worry about the language - itā€™s my 2nd language too - and Iā€™ve seen lot worseā€¦ )

4 Likes

Iā€™ll wait about week time after I recieve card and then Iā€™ll try to move my weekly salary for this account. If something will be wrong the wonā€™t froze my money but theyā€™ll let me to withdraw all the money Iā€™ve got there (i think so). Iā€™ll try to find out something more about CIFAS marker and then Iā€™ll let you know.

1 Like

You mentioned a fairly large cheque: Iā€™d suggest you wait until you have had a salary or two paid in before you send it. Large deposits, that are in isolation may very occasionally trigger further money laundering / fraud checks, and while extremely unlikely, thatā€™s the last thing youā€™ll need right now. Also, send it using ā€œSpecial Deliveryā€.

3 Likes

Just to clarify we donā€™t work for monzo, just people on the forum. Looks good so far. Agree with the back up account idea. Not sure what stage it would get flagged for further checks, if youā€™re concerned email help@monzo.com and they will advise you (think it might be best, you donā€™t want to start using it and then it gets frozen).

4 Likes

Excellent support for one in need - well done folks :+1:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a really good idea! (you can also contact them through the help section of the app, rather than by email)

3 Likes

Once again thank you soo much for your help :wink: Iā€™ll wait for about 2 salaries then iā€™ll contact Monzo on the app about the cheque and weā€™ll see what will be next. Fingers crossed and
ā€œDonā€™t worry 'bout a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all rightā€ - B.Marley :wink: Thantā€™s the song for goodnight to think positive :wink:

3 Likes

Good news ladies and gentelmens!!! I did recieve my Monzo Card before minute, I activated my account and everything is fine. Now I just need to transfer all my payments and incomes to the Monzo Account :wink: Once again thank you so much for you help, If one day you will see somewhere a guy with glasses and dreadlocks paying by Monzo card, say hello to him and you will get big beer from him (me) cause you deserver for it :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

weā€™ll all go around now saying hello to those in dreadlocks AND glasses in the hope of a free beer :wink:

4 Likes

I should wait until they pull out their Monzo card - or you might get a few disappointing conversations :slight_smile:

3 Likes